We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

Hi

I hesitate to ask yet another accommodation question as I know in the end it is personal choice, however having perhaps looked at too many options am down to two and would welcome views from anyone who has experience of them:

Florence View Apartments, Lungarno Zecca Vecchia 28

Residenza d'Epoca Via Santo Spirito 6

We (myself, husband and 19 year old son) are visiting Florence from 3 to 6 September - we are happy to do lots of walking, just taking in the surroundings and would like to be within 10 mins of some casual dining options for the evenings. Florence View provide what appear to be large, comfortable apartments but I can't tell if they are in a perhaps less desirable position (it looks like it may be a main road?). There are less reviews and the response I got to my enquiry was a simple reply with no company address or other details included which was a little unsusal. Santo Spirito apartment is smaller, no air con, but appears to be a lovely area, however I notice some advice is to stay in Lugano if visiting for only a few days.

Having tied myself in knots, any information would be welcomed.

Many thanks.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

I know absolutely nothing about these apartments but here they are on booking.com with many reviews

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-us.html?aid=311088;label=florenceviewapartments-v9RgVq3qJH6NJI3qQuxd%2AwS24382958043%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=0105dd03fb3711c527722e2d60159e8a;dcid=1;dest_id=-117543;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=358417

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

I don't know either apartment, so I can't comment on them but I am familiar with the area.

This is just a personal choice and based on primarily on the area, but I would choose the Santo Spirito apartment without a second thought. In fact, I've looked at it for myself but, as a solo traveller on a budget, it is a bit too expensive for me. Via Santo Spirito is one of my favourite roads - a narrow, "characteristic" street with some interesting little shops and you would be surrounded by good restaurants. The website says that you would be taking breakfast in a nearby caffe - if it's the Caffe Santo Spirito I would envy you, breakfast would probably be a simple Italian breakfast, but the caffe is pure Florence with a few tables with newspapers and a very local clientele.

Florence View apartments look great, but Lungarno della Zecca Vecchia is a noisy, busy road along the river, however, if you had a river view room, although it might be noisy, you would have a view over the Arno toward Piazzale Michelangelo and the church of San Miniato, both of which are lit up at night.

I think Via Santo Spirito is more conveniently situated with regard to visiting the sights and the Oltrarno ( south of the river ) is slightly less touristy and somehow feels more "authentic' with its artisan workshops which still exist, although the numbers are diminishing.

I hope this helps a bit - but you might want to take into consideration that I'm very biased toward that part of Florence :o)

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

Thanks ladybracknell for sharing your opinion - much appreciated. I think I was slowly coming to the conclusion that of the two locations Santo Spirito might suit us better. Having read your post I am feeling much more comfortable with this decision. Relieved to have accommodation in Florence and Lake Como sorted - just one night in Lucca and last night in Bergamo to organise, then can really look forward to our holiday!

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

You're welcome, wontour - I just hope that I've tipped you in the right direction!

It sounds like a wonderful holiday, have a great time.

5. Re: Florence View vs Residenza d'Epoca via SantoSpirito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:16