We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help to decide, please

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
need help to decide, please

trying to plan a few days in europe the last week of August. my DH and I (late 40's) are trying to decide between Italy or Spain, maybe Portugal.

We've been to costa del sol malaga, spain, and venice italy.

the choices we are trying to decide between are barcelona or florence, sicily or napless or anywhere in italy besides venice.

we like to be active and love sightseeing, we don't sit still! we like great food, really nice hotels, cultural, castles countryside. museums ok, no shopping (can do that at home) we don't mind changing hotels, areas or using transportation. we like tours and cooking classes anything fun and different. what's your vote?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help to decide, please

Only you can decide this. You should make a list of what you want to see in each area and the two with the most on the list should be the ones you visit. The opinions of total strangers on a forum should not be the deciding factor on where you vacation. Get a guide book and start doing the research. I'm sure after reading up on these cities, two will strike you more than the others.

Donna

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help to decide, please

thanks for suggestions. i will take into consideration

i was hoping for more of specific, not general/generic response. and since i am traveling in a few short weeks need something a little quicker. i have been looking on the net but i've always find peoples opinions, recommendations, and experiences helpful.

Enjoy!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help to decide, please

If one of my friends asked me that question, bearing in mind the time of year and that list of interests, I would say Barcelona. It is a fantastic city, amazing food, so much to see and do (and a very wide variety of types of sights), interesting day trip options with good public transport and it has a great beach right there, so if the weather is very hot (as it is likely to be in all those places at the end of August) you can easily go for a swim. It is the city that has something for everyone, in my opinion, and that comes from someone whose favourite city on earth is Florence.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help to decide, please

thanks peggypatch! i am finding flights and they are reasonable to barcelona and italy. so the flights aren't a problem. it will be hotel availability and cultural interests that will help me decide. Spain is easy because there is only one city i am considering, it is italy that is confusing to me because there are many areas that sound good, just don't know which will have the experience i am looking for.

while the amalfi coast, capri, sorrento sound nice, i don't want strictly beach coastal, and while florence sounds great i am looking for more than museums and duomos. i like to be cultural enriched with local feel and experiences, not just museums churches and shopping. so there is rome, and sicily and pompeii and naples and florence, positano and sorrento,.. i just don't know how to decide!

Edited: 01 August 2014, 14:22
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,966 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help to decide, please

Regardless of what we suggest, you will do what you want to do, which you should :) As noted above, this is your decision to make. Case on point: peggypatch suggested Barcelona and you went on debating about Italy. Sounds like Italy it is.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help to decide, please

Well I still think Barcelona will give you the best mix. I haven't been to Naples or the Almalfi at that time of year so can't comment on what that would be like, but I can't honestly say that I would recommend Florence or Rome at the end of August, they can be exhaustingly hot at that time of year, Florence in particular can feel stifling because it sits in a bowl surrounded by hills and the air doesn't move and the crowds make it feel even more oppressive. Sicily of course is a huge and rich area with all sorts to offer, so you could certainly find a mixture of things to do there and also have the opportunity to mix up culture and beach and food etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,611 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need help to decide, please

It is highly unlikely you will get your nice hotel on the Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc as it is the busiest month of the season/year - it is jam packed and places will have been booked nearly one year in advance. So, you could easily wipe those off your list if you take a few minutes to see if there is any availability somewhere you might like in those areas; if not, move onto the next possible destination.

If you are fortunate and find somewhere that has free rooms where you might like, then that might be one decision done.

Given your criteria - you may want to look more closely at Sicily -

The only way I can imagine deciding is to just read up more on the possible choices you are considering - plenty of information is online and in guidebooks to research to help with such a decision. It's the only way I decide so can't imagine doing it any other way -

MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help to decide, please

Italy is a favorite but Barcelona is really a wonderful city. Was there again last year and stayed at the Hotel 98. Swimming pool on roof. Only disadvantage is that hotel is right on the Rambla but that didn't interfere at all. Lots of very good to excellent restaurants (only problem is that many are closed in August). If you like a more peaceful area the Claris Hotel is good choice. Museum gallery right in the hotel.

Agree that it may be difficult to get a hotel on the Amalfi at this time of year.

9. Re: need help to decide, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:16