We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

We are planning our itinerary for a trip in October, and it seems to bring us to Florence on a Saturday and Sunday. Are these days o.k. to visit the city? Are museums open? Any disadvantages?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

Chiefie, yes, museums are open. Monday is the day museums are closed in Florence.

You will love Florence. But even October is busy there. So, do make reservations for places like the Uffizi and the Accademia. Your hotel can do this for you, if you ask. There is a small fee for the reservation, but well worth skipping the lines. :)

One of the best views in Italy (in my humble opinion) is from the Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence. Try to arrive about 20 minutes before sunset. Stunning! (There is also a nice little outdoor restaurant/bar just next to the Piazzale. A sunset drink there would also provide a great view of Florence!)

Buon viaggio!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

October is a usually lovely month in which to visit Florence, but as said above, is still busy. I would definitely make reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia, I prefer to phone myself - tel:- +39 055 294883, the operators speak English and it doesn't take long, there is a 4 euro booking fee. If you look to the right of the text in FAQ, you will find details there.

In October the Bargello is closed on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month and is only open until about 13:40.

Hope this helps.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

Regarding Sundays, I meant to add that some churches, such as Santa Croce for example, are closed on Sunday mornings. It's best to check individual websites - of course they are open for Mass.

Have a wonderful time!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

I love Saturdays in Florence and usually go in then (or Sunday) as it's easier for me to drive and park. I wouldn't worry at all about being there on the weekend.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

Thanks for the info, guys, makes planning so much easier.

I looked up Piazzale Michelangelo, and the views from there do seem beautiful. Do we need to take a bus or cab up there, or is it a reasonable walk from the center?

Thx.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

More locals out on the weekend ...lots to do event wise on weekends..sat and Sunday ...markets...I even wear shorts on Sunday when in Firenze or Roma ! Fun to be there any day and weekends are no exception...re:piazzale Michelangelo....long but nice walk..take a cab if limited by time or use bus...worth it for sure!

Edited: 11 August 2014, 15:11
7. Re: 2 days in Florence - should we avoid Saturday, Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16