We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena or Bologna

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
919 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Siena or Bologna

I will be in Florence next April for 3 full days before taking the train to Bologna for a day (staying 1 night) and continuing onto Venice. Already planning to see Florence for 2 days and spending a day-trip to Pisa/Lucca.

I also have the option to forgo Bologna and stay in Florence one more day which I would use for a day-trip to Siena. But I heard Siena may be similar to Lucca. What are people's thoughts about either Bologna or Siena? Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,734 reviews
from US$113.20*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.20*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.20*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$100.60*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena or Bologna

I have not been to bologna, but have been to lucca and siena. I dont think they are similar. They are both medieval towns, that is the old part is. Siena is really special and magical. I stayed with locals who told me the whole history and they believe siena is a based on magic. I stayed there for 4 nights as well as florence and other areas of tuscany, and I thought it one of the best places of my trip.

I enjoyed the old town hall chambers on the far side of the inner campo which tells the history of the way the place was governed by the council of nine. Outside the courtyard campo, is segmented and paved into 9 sections which represents those 9 council members..this is 1000 years of history. There is a lookout up the top of the stairs to view out the back. The church in siena is the most beutiful one to me in all of italy and the baptistry...man what a place..get the combined ticket and see the lot with the little museum also.

at night after the tourists have gone home you can wonder around and the locals come out of their homes...some go to mert in the smaller squares and do flag tossing and the children practice drumming.....it is truly magical.

the shoe shops are good too. Stay in the old town. Oh do go there, because I said so! lol ♡

Edited: 27 August 2014, 07:25
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena or Bologna

I agree that Siena and Lucca are not alike, but to choose between Siena and Bologna is a tough one. If it were my trip, I think I would day trip to Siena instead of Pisa and Lucca and still have a night in Bologna.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
919 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena or Bologna

Thanks for your suggestion peggy. However, two people I'm going with have never been to Pisa and area all about the tower, so I plan on a few hours there before finishing the day in Lucca.

And since both Siena and Lucca were medieval type towns I wasn't sure if Bologna would still be the wiser choice this time around as it is much different. Or is Siena a can't miss?

Also, if I did Siena I would be tempted to try and do San Gimignano the same day but unsure how that would work.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena or Bologna

All great towns..all very different...bologna is a wonderful city..a real city not necessarily driven by the tourist industry..the vibe of the people and the university makes bologna a very young and exciting place to visit....when people call Siena magical, they are correct...day and night are totally different ....one thing I may suggest is to spend little time driving all day and immerse yourself in one place..relax..sightsee..people watch ..eat..and get a feel for the town ...I talk to people who said they visited three or four towns in a day..but did they really see them or just drop in, walk around and tick off that box on their list...

Rome, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena or Bologna

I go every year in Tuscany near Siena, I'm in love with these places! I was in Bologna but I suggest Siena or better yet the small towns around Siena and the Chianti area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
919 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena or Bologna

Thank you... Another option is to see both Bologna and Siena and skip the daytrip to Padua I had planned from Venice.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena or Bologna

Personally I was not taken with Bologna as much as with Lucca and Siena. Lucca and Siena are quite different and both quite lovely.

sfc
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
617 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siena or Bologna

I just returned from Florence and Bologna and definitely feel you should forego Bologna, stay in Florence one more night, and go to Siena. The Emilia-Romagna region of Italy is nice, but, in my opinion, it can't compare to Tuscany. Like I said, that's just my opinion, some may disagree, I'm sure.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
919 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siena or Bologna

Thanks... I think I may have decided to spend the day and the one night in Siena (instead of Bologna) before taking the train to Venice.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siena or Bologna

Siena is my favorite town in all of Tuscany. Good decision to go there, but I'd recommend another day if at all possible.