We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spices/blends

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Spices/blends

I'd like to pick up a couple small packets of spice blends in Florence. Any favorites? (Italian label please)

Mercado Centrale and Pegna are on my must do list.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spices/blends

I usually buy spices at Eataly (Via De' Martelli, near the Cathedral)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spices/blends

Spice blend for what? I'm not sure what Italian dish would need one - a recipe would normally specify the relevant individual herbs/spices, rather than any "blend" or mixture. In Italy there is no such thing as "Italian seasoning" which I have seen elsewhere. Rosemary, sage and bay leaves might be used together in meat dishes, but they would be fresh, in a bundle. Fennel seeds are very Italian, especially in pork dishes, but other spices/herbs used with it would vary depending on the dish.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spices/blends

Some more like this from Conti Tuscany Flavours:

Spicy Herbs for Spaghetti 100 gr

A spicy and versatile blend of traditional Italian herbs and spices. Perfect for pastas, soups, eggs and sprinkled on crostini or popcorn!

Ingredients: red chili pepper, garlic, parsley, salt, chervil

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spices/blends

i'm sorry but we don't pur that herbs on pasta.

All those ingredients are used fresh one by one, and parsley is not used in evry pasta dish.

Maybe the only spice used heavily throughout italy is red chili pepper.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spices/blends

But you do make it and sell it so i was wondering where to buy some .. Conti is in the Mercado Centrale.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spices/blends

We found spice mixes for bruchetta and just loved it so much that we bought two more to bring home.

Maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spices/blends

Many vendors at the Mercato have packets of dried herbs/spices...some for pasta, some for soups, some for risotto, etc. Browse through and see what you like. I have brought these home as souvenirs and they are usually well received. Can't recommend a particular brand/blend but there are lots of choices. They're lightweight in the luggage too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spices/blends

I think rather than particular brands there are packet mixes at markets. People say they aren't for locals but they do appear to be catering for the local market. This in Rome, but others I am sure in Florence.

http://tinyurl.com/ofpq2bd

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spices/blends

I'll keep my eyes and nose open in the markets

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spices/blends

There are so many stalls in the Mercato Centrale selling precisely what you are looking for and the bags (or jars) of spices are very competitively priced, often just a couple of Euros a bag. However, besides the fennel seeds that Qaminari mentions and dried red chilli, of course, I don't find mixed herbs and spices are used that often in Tuscan cooking but foreigners' taste are certainly very well catered for and you'll find bags of seasoning aimed at virtually everything from chicken to fish. Pegna is a simply superb shop for many things, including cold cuts, deli items, sweets and biscuits but I think of it more as somewhere for locals to find imported food items - I buy my tea and English marmalade there, for example - and reckon their local produce such as olive oil, vinegar, wine, etc are very expensive indeed compared to elsewhere. You must visit though for it's a beautiful store with a fabulous array of goods.