We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
277 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Three of us are going to Florence soon and we have one fussy eater who only likes pasta or chicken. I know that in Italy pasta is normally served before a main course and is quite a small portion, but is there any nice restuarants in Florence that serve pasta as a main course and large portions! We had problems in Milan, finding a suitable place to eat for our friend.

UK
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Next time you are in Milan, check out any of the Da Willy restaurants - they serve huge portions of excellent pasta at very cheap prices and their pizzas are also great.

I am sure that your friend will manage in most restaurants in Florence as pasta is always featured as a Primo Piatto and "Pollo al mattone" is a Tuscan speciality often found as a Secondo Piatto. Add some salad and bread and that should satisfy most apetites.

Most restaurants will also happily provide an extra large portion of pasta on request.

Scotland
Level Contributor
277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Thank you for your reply. Its a pity we didn't know about those restaurants in Milan. We felt as if we were offending the waiter by taking pasta as a main course, and we asked for large portions, but didn't get much more than starter sized portions. Maybe we will have more luck in Florence. I would like to know the names of any restuarants (simialr to the ones you mentioned in Milan), so that I can book for the Friday and Saturday night. We are staying ionVia Cavour.

UK
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Two of my favourite restaurants are on via Guelfa which is just off via Cavour. They are both smallish, family run places and serve great food at reasonable prices.

Da Cafaggi, via Guelfa 35r +39055 294989

Trattoria Guelfa, via Guelfa 103r +39055 213306

Another great place is I Ghibellini in Piazza San Pier Maggiore not far from the Teatro Verdi near Santa Croce. Again, lovely food, friendly staff, popular with the locals and the best pizzas in Florence.

Scotland
Level Contributor
277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

Thanks Ellonway - i'll take a look at these

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

I suggest Osteria del Porcellino

www.osteriadelporcellino.it

check out the menu on line to see if it will satisfy your friend. I had the Ravioili alla Caterina dei Medici and it was wonderful.

Don't hesitate to order whatever you want you wont offend anybody. I asked when I was in Vernazza ( I wanted to try the pesto and also spaghetti with seafood )because, I thought the same way but the waiter doesn't care. He said order whatever you like. They are pleased because so many people stop after the pasta anyway.

Scotland
Level Contributor
277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

I had a quick look at the website and the food sounds wonderful - I could eat anything from it, but sadly my friend is a very plain eater and wouldn't try any of the choices. She doesn't like seafood either, or anything spicy. It does limit us very much, as I enjoy different eating experiences. In Scotland, the Italian restaurants have a huge choice of pasta dishes as main courses, so she normally has no problem here.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

She could order two portions...

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

We virtually always eat pasta and I don't consider the portions "quite small." With a salad and contorno, it's just right for us.

I second the vote for I Ghibellini. We thought it was great. I had a calzone there that was bigger than my head!!!

italybound@verizon.net

london,uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

FFS whats the problem ? If your friend has such an appetite then choose an antipasta followed by a primo piatto (sp?) and as someone else has suggested, a secondo piatto of chicken. Leave him/her at home next time ... Italy and France are a gastronomic delight ... not for fussy eaters ;-)

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good pasta restaurants in Florence

My husband and I just returned from a two-week tour of Italy and one of the hightlights for us were the meals we had at the newly opened Mangiafuoco Bracerie. In fact, we loved it so much we went back three times (something we never ever do when traveling since we enjoy trying different places). The restaurant is located at Via Guelfa, 24R - right off of Via Cavour (there's a McDonald's on the corner) so it would be very convenient for you to get there.

We stumbled upon Mangiafuoco the very first night it opened for business, after having a disasterous, horrible meal at Cafaggi the night before. The two young women who are co-owners (Barbara and Daniella) can't do enough to please you and their food is superb. I'm sure your friend would find plenty to please on their menu (and if you're looking for something really wonderful and a little more adventurous than chicken or pasta, have the girlled sea bass which they'll present whole and then filet it at your tableside).

We fully intended to go to a different place the next night but, after having walked to a point of near exhaustion, we went back to Mangiafuoco and just said, "Feed us. We're too tired to think!" Out came a good size portion of pasta for me and their marvelous lasagne for my husband. To be fair, their mixed salads are just average (but we found that to be the case all over Italy) but their tomato and buffalo mozzerella salad is divine!

Barbara's English is good so if you have questions or a special request, ask for Barbara. They're very accommodating and eager to please, so I feel confident your friend will be happy. And, if you go, please tell them that "Paola and Alfredo" send their regards!!

(These are not our real names but , for some random reason, Barbara and Daniella thought they were so we just went along with it!)