We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on renting a car in Florence

sw
usa
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Question on renting a car in Florence

We will be in Florence the first week in Nov. Can anyone tell me about renting a car. Is it best to do it ahead. Is it more expensive to book it there? What would I expect to pay for a manual compact care for one day. If we wanted to have a pickup location close to the train station is there certain renal companies to check with?

Thanks for any help you can offer

SW

Austin, TX
9 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Question on renting a car in Florence

We just got back this weekend. You get better rates if you rent it outside of the airport (saves you the tax). We did it thru AutoEurope.com. Everything went well. We picked it up a few blocks away from the train station - very simple and dropped it off in Rome at the airport. Worked out well for us! Good luck and have fun!Carla

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Question on renting a car in Florence

I'd take the 2euro bus ride to the airport and rent from AutoEurope. I'd do it in advance. Trying to drive in the cities in Italy is suicide. From the airport you can get on A1 and then exit to 222, the Chianti Road. Driving in Tuscany (outside the cities) is like driving in rural Ohio. We've done it for 11 days in the last 3 years and have had great experiences. If you'd like, email for more particulars. jerryott@dtnspeed.net

USA
Level Contributor
765 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Question on renting a car in Florence

If the Italians can drive in their cities, so can we. I've been driving city, hill town, and locations between for a dozen years. Sure, it takes nerve, but so does Manhattan. It is actually fun to drive in Italy and match wits with them.

led
cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Question on renting a car in Florence

I also plan on renting a car in Florence to drive to tuscany. We are deciding whether to drop the car back off in Florence and then take the train to Rome or to drive from tuscany (around Siena) to Rome, but heard the driving is crazy into rome. ANy other ideas of drop off places in tuscany so we can take a train to rome?