We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Greeters

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Florence Greeters

Years ago while visiting New York City, we used Big Apple Greeters. We got to see a part of the city we probably would never have taken the opportunity to explore. I see there is a similar program in Florence, and was wondering if anyone had ever used them and what their experience was.

Thanks

Auntie

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,167 Reviews
from US$106.60*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,583 Reviews
from US$100.70*
US$135.00
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,313 Reviews
from US$106.60*
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence Greeters

I've not heard of them, can you provide a link?

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence Greeters

I've never heard of them either. However, I Googled them and lots of information came up - they even have a Facebook page.

Sorry, AuntieJan, I can't help with a recommendation or otherwise. They certainly look like an enthusiastic bunch, though. If you have time to spare and like that kind of thing, why not give them a go? If you contact them, you might get a bit of an idea of how they are.

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence Greeters

Here is the website.

florence.greeters.info/index.php?id=339

Makes me a tad bit nervous if the TripAdvisor guru's haven't heard of them,

They were great in New York City

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence Greeters

My husband and I have also done Tel Aviv Greeters in Israel- a truly fabulous experience.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Adelaide
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence Greeters

If you go ahead and use a 'greeter' please post your experience on this forum - as I for one would appreciate any comments....................

massachusetts
Level Contributor
24 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence Greeters

Not sure if you still need this information. But...we just used the Florence Global Greeters on our visit to Florence and were very pleased. We were matched with a local woman, Manuela, who had lived in Florence for 21 years. We communicated with her ahead of time about our interests and needs. She spent about 4 hours with us and we truly enjoyed the experience. They are a fairly new group and I believe there are only about 15 members. So there is no guarantee that they will able to provide you with a Greeter. But I would highly recommend making a request. This is done very easily though their website.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence Greeters

We have used both Paris Greeters and Lyon City Greeters and the experiences were lovely, very personal and we were shown about the city with obvious pride and love. Our Paris Greeter sends Christmas wishes and we met up with her again last year.

Given our experiences I wouldn't hesitate to use them in another city. Your own personal tour guide free of charge (in Lyon, as it is run by the city, not even a donation to the organisation was allowed). We did thank ours with coffee and cake and a beer for the guy.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
London
Level Contributor
163 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence Greeters

Hi Kenp, Can I ask if when you met and spent time with Manuela, did you give a tip at the end, or buy lunch or any other such thing?

Thanks,

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
305 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence Greeters

Hi! I am Manuela from the Florence Greeters and hade the great pleasure to pass several hours with Ken and his family!

I would like to point out that Florence Greeters as all other Greeters of the Global Greeters Network have an absolute no tipping policy! We cannot accept any tips or other kinds of recompense!

We are a group of people who would just like to share and show our beautiful city to visitors and we do this just for the pleasure of doing this and for the love we feel for our city on a voluntary basis!

Florence greeters are not so much known yet, as they have been founded only in autumn last year.

We are not professional guides nor do we want to concur with them. It it more a cultural exchange combined with a walk in the more hidden spots of Florence.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
London
Level Contributor
163 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence Greeters

Hi Manuela,

Thank you for coming back so quickly - I will definitely request a meet with a Florence greeter :)

The hidden spots of Florence sounds perfect.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence