We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

Omaha, NE
4 posts
Save Topic
Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

My husband and I will be visiting Florence and Venice on our honeymoon next month. This is our first trip to Europe and I've been told that the 'toursity' see a lot of personal theft. (The US has this too, just not as much in the midwest where we live!) A friend advised that I wear minimal, if any jewelry, including my wedding ring. Is this overkill or playing it safe?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

I have never had a problem wearing jewelry in Europe...but keep in toned down..wedding ring, watch, earings, simple bracelet. Just keep them on your body ..don't bring a big variety of items to leave in the hotel room.

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

KG's advice is good. Most italians don't wear very large diamonds, though i've seen plenty of pave' and expensive jewelry around. If your engagement is a karat or more, leave it at home in the bank. Otherwise, you're fine as long as you don't sparkle in the sunlight. On the bus, turn any large rings around in the presence of suspicious looking people.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

I have never had a problem either but I do not wear as much jewellery when travelling than I do at home. I do still wear my wedding ring, earrings and a watch though. I feel as long as you are wearing them they are fine, realistically how is someone going to get the ring off your finger in a snatch and grab? The thiefs usually target easy to get things, cellphones in your top pcoket, wallet easily visable in a trouser pocket etc. Just be alert and relax and enjoy your trip.

USA
Level Contributor
765 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

I have not worn diamonds in Italy for many years; I leave my rings at home and wear a simple wedding band. We use a rental car, and I felt uncomfortable wearing my rings at the Autogrill. The Autogrills are perfectly safe except for reports I've read about luggage being stolen if it is visible, but I've never seen anything of the sort. Diamonds and the Autostrada just didn't feel right to me, then it didn't feel right to me anywhere. I'm a lot happier with one less thing to cause concern. The less attention one draws is good; be understated.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

My cousin had her three carat dimaond ring robbed from her at gunpoint in the parking lot of a nice shopping mall, right here in a residential area of Miami, so a snatch and grab of a ring is definitely possible. Although I see substantial jewelry on women here all the time, I only wear mine on special dress up occasions myself, and I would NEVER travel to Europe with it, unless I was attending a wedding or something. Having been robbed of a large amount of jewelry myself years ago on an Amtrak train between New York and Philadelphia, I am very wary however. I usually start out on my trips with only what I wear every day, however I usually get enchanted by at least one item from the Ponte Vecchio or St. Mark's Square, which I am careful to secure carefully until I get it home.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

I too leave my sentimental ring home that I could never replace and wear a plain, simple wedding band. I do the same when I travel in the USA.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

You will be fine wearing your wedding ring in Italy. Italian women seem to love gold and wear as much as the rest of us.

My mother in law always left her nice jewelery at home when she toured Europe, until her house was robbed and she lost it all.

I am not comfortable leaving valuable pieces in my hotel room, but if you enjoy it, I say wear it.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

My son is a goldsmith and my wife wears quite a lot of his work - gold chain necklaces, bracelets, earrings and we have never had any problems whatsoever anywhere in Italy.

The only problem we have had was on returning home when Customs accused us of buying gold abroad and were not mollified until we showed them my son's assay mark and makers mark!

USA
Level Contributor
765 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing jewelry when travelling in Europe???

I believe the concern here is about wearing diamonds, especially large stones. Gold should be fine, but I never wear back to Italy gold that I bought there on previous trips.