We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This weekend - 2nd-4th December

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
307 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
This weekend - 2nd-4th December

Hi - travelling finally to Florence this weekend and really looking forward to it. 2 questions:

1. Is there anything on this weekend that is worth checking out i.e. on the culture front and where should we eat & bars - like local and trendy places - money not a issue (not this weekend - it's special)?

2. Arriving in Pisa on Sat morning - we'll take the train into Florence - how long should this take and how long is the walk from the station to the Hotel Grand?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

If you are staying at the Hotel Grand Minerva in Piazza Santa Maria,it is only 5 minutes from the Station. The Hotel adjoins the Santa Maria Novella church. I stay there every Summer. The service is great,as are the friendly staff.There is a roof swimming pool and bar (but probably not open this time of year) They also have a great restaurant.PLEASE say hello to Carlo and Roberto from Mary and Simon Clark ,and we will see them next July as usual.

There are so many restaurants to try, and they are all excellent.

There is a small cobbled street on the other side of the Piazza,via

Trebbio,(off via Dei Banchi) you will see it on your map. There is a small restaurant 'Trebbio',really great food and completely authentic.

Just as you enter via Dei Banchi,my friend Riccardo has a leather shop called Roberta (you can practically see the shop from the hotel) handbags,scarves mens ties etc. If you say Mary recommended you I am sure you will get a great discount

Good luck for your weekend - once in Firenze you will want to return again and again.-but try Summer time next.

Mary

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

Sorry forgot to tell you it takes about 45 minutes from Pisa to Santa Maria Novella station. There is not a lot open this time of year, but do try to see the original statue of Davide in the Galleria Accademia,it is awesome. The Uffizi gallery is also fantastic. You will probably be also able to get into the Duomo without too big a queue. If you want to visit these places ask at the Hotel reception to pre- book your tickets for you, then you won't have to wait in queues.

The San Lorenzo Open market is just off via Dei Banchi and is usually open every morning - good leather bargains etc.

Have a great time

Mary

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

If you mean the Grand in Piazza Ognissanti - if you splurge on that, splurge on a taxi to take you there. Shouldn't come up to more than 10 euro.

Lots of possibilities on the culture front:

The mind of Leonardo at the Uffizi

Apoxyomenos, The athlete from Croatia" - at the Medici Riccardi Palace

Vu d'Italie 1841-1941. I grandi Maestri della fotografia italiana nelle collezioni Alinari - at the Alinari Museum

40th Anniversary of Florence Flood: Little big treasures damaged by floods - at the San Marco museum

Archeologia e Restauro in Toscana - at the Archaeological Museum

and many more...

Level Contributor
737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

Since Money is not an issue, I suggest you a dinner at Cibreo and at Alle Murate...you will not be disappointed!

The 40th anniversary of Florence flood is also interesting to see

Glasgow
Level Contributor
307 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

Hi there - thanks for both of your comments. We are actually staying the Grand Hotel, Piazza Ognissanti 1. We will take a cab from the station. Looking for an authentic restaurant around that area and also if possible - trendy, cool bar(s) or club!

Level Contributor
737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

The restaurant I mentioned are great! About Clubbing, Florence is not the best place, but on Friday I suggest you the "Piccionaia" it's a privè at Meccanò disco (10 min walking from your hotel).

7. Re: This weekend - 2nd-4th December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 22:17