We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice or Florence

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Venice or Florence

I'm confused which one to see on my next vacation. Can anybody say what one has the other one doesn't or why they would pick one over the other. Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,067 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice or Florence

Both lovely places, with so much to see, Venice is unique no cars built on water, no where like it in the world, thats why its called la Serenissima, the peaceful one,

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice or Florence

If you have time, see both.

If not, I would choose Venice simply because it is unlike any other city in the world......interesting history, breathtaking beauty, unique canals ......and all in wonderful Italy.

I really like the photos on this website, and they will give you some idea of the charms of both. So difficult to choose!

terragalleria.com/europe/italy/italy.all.html

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice or Florence

try to do both-we went to Venice, Rome and Amalafi coast two years and by passed Florence. I have regreted that.(not going to those places, but not seeing Florence as well) However, I am lucky. My husband and I are returning this Jan. to do Florence and Tuscany. You will love Venice and went I get back I suspect I will say the same about Florence.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice or Florence

Thanks, Tobie, for the wonderful website for Italian and European city pictures in your post.

Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice or Florence

Been to both twice. I would have to say they are both wonderful. Florence is my favorite, for more personal reasons, but imo venice is one of a kind. Is there anyway to do both?,

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice or Florence

Definite both - one is fine lace, weighless and delicate, the other is glorious, elegant silk (Rome is heavy and luscious damask )

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice or Florence

Uga~ you're welcome.

Anon~ loved your descriptions! A wonderful way to explain what is really indefinable. :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice or Florence

Thank you all so much. I can see from the posts they are both wonderful places.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice or Florence

Anon, how beautiful your description was. You are not helping my homesickness though !!!

Luggageinhand-love your screenname,btw!---I have only been to Florence (twice)and I must say that I absolutely adore Florence and can't wait to return-it is so special to us. On the other hand, I can't wait to see Venice and I know that it too will captivate me ! You can't really compare any of these wonderful Italian cities--they are all unique , yet all are amazing. I simply adore Rome. I simply adore Florence. I simply adore Assisi. And I know I will simply adore Venice. If you can go to both, please do. If your time is too short, you will return. I am an addict--I will always find a way to return.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice or Florence

Tobie photos were delightful thanks.

If you rent an apartment in Florence for a week, can you take a day trip to the coastal towns. Thinking one week in Florence and one in Venice. Would love to see the coastal area too.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.