We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from florence to lucca

Spain
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
bus from florence to lucca

planning a day trip to lucca while im in florence at the begining of march. i was planning on taking the train but there doesmt seem to be much choice for mid morning. either around 9am or near midday. so i was thinking of looking at the buses instead. can someone tell me if the below link is the correct timetable. if so it appears to have the same problems as the train interms of the time. early morning buses then a couple of hrs until the next one. how many hrs would you need there in order to have a wander around.

lazzi.it/public/documenti/orari-inverno-2007…

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
78 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus from florence to lucca

hi

i took a look at the trenitalia schedule and saw there are trains at 9:08, 10:57 and 11:38 not too frequent but enough to schedule around. the train into lucca is rather pleasant and i would suggest that :)

lucca, the historical center at least, is quite small and is maybe half an hour walk from end to end. so i would think 3 hours is enough to see the city then take about an hour or so for lunch hehe. don't forget to climb onto the walls and walk around the perimeter :)

Spain
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus from florence to lucca

thanks. regarding the city walls.Are the high up with big drops either side. as id like to walk round but the peson im going with doesnt like heights at all.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus from florence to lucca

The beautiful walls that surround the historic center of Lucca are quite wide (wider than a two-laned road) and are constructed like ramparts so there's no dramatic drop: it's more like a high, earthern slope that surrounds the city. It's quite parklike and the views - both into the city and outward toward the surrounding mountains - are just lovely. I don't think a person with height issues will be at all bothered by the walls. I do urge you to schedule more than three hours. Lucca is a wonderful city with much to do and see (and eat and buy!) and you will not regret planning an entire day there.

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
78 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus from florence to lucca

to echo what was said, a whole day in lucca would certainly be better :)

i was actually there for 4 days and used it as a base to see tuscany (rather than stay in florence). it was nice to be able to explore the little places around the city - so 3 hours is like bare minimum to see the city (like literally what it looks like), but the longer definitely the better :)

Spain
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus from florence to lucca

thanks for your help. we will defo try and spend longer than 3 hrs there. we are planning a full day trip.so i guess we will probably go for the early train at 9am approx. we are in florence for 5 nights, 4 full days and want to visit siena and lucca for two of those..will then stop off at the leaning tower on the way back to the airport.

Spain
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus from florence to lucca

where abouts is the bus station in lucca? near to the centre? any advice re the bus timetable would be good as im having trouble reading it. we will travel there on the 3rd march

manila, philippines
Level Contributor
78 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus from florence to lucca

hi

i didn't actually see the bus terminal when i was there. but i read somewhere on this forum that it is just outside one of the entrances to the historical center.

there's still a part of me though that's thinking you might be better off taking the train, but that's just me.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus from florence to lucca

The bus station in Lucca is just outside the Centro Storico and there is a Tourist Information Center right there also. They have maps and information as well as restrooms.

italybound@verizon.net

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus from florence to lucca

Forgot to add that there are trains leaving Florence at 8:08, 8:38, 9:08, and 10:57.

Central, Illinois
Level Contributor
135 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus from florence to lucca

If you are planning to take the bus round-trip, be sure to ask for a "Retorno biglietta" - round trip, and the "Diretto" bus which is the express bus with no stops. The other buses stop at every town on the way :)