We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside or Outside the walls?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inside or Outside the walls?

I'm searching for an apartment for 2 for 2 - 9 October. Should I be looking for inside or outside the walls? I'll be travelling by public transport. Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

I find inside the walls more convenient especially if you are not worrying about parking a car.

TAB

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Since you don't have a car to be concerned with,then choose inside the walls. It's a delightful experience to be in the historic center of the city.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

TAB,

LOL It looks like both of us have had to deal with parking the car there.

United States
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Yes, the only place I could find to park late at night required me to feed the meter every hour in the morning until I was ready to leave.

TAB

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Thanks everyone ........ the only apartment I've found is on Borgo Giannotti which I think is outside the walls

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

While Borgo Giannoti is outside the walls it is an interesting street and has an underground passthru (under a busy cross street) to get to the green area adjacent to the walls...and there is a gate through the walls also just adjacent. There is a great bookstore on Borgo Giannoti that sells books in English and the proprietor is very helpful and can find you wonderful books about Italy/Tuscany/Lucca to enhance your visit. I would not hesitate to stay on Borgo Giannoti, but would - as the others writers have observed - prefer to be "inside" if at all possible.

Toscana
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Borgo Giannotti is a quite good choice: you are very near the city centre, however to rent a bicycle could be a nice idea (a bicycle tour on the walls is a must, especially in autumn); moreover the bus service is not so efficient.

Lucca is traditionally a quiet city, but recently things are changed a little (in my opinion whole Italy is not as safe as few years ago): so be careful when you walk after 10 pm in dark areas outside and on the walls; but don't be scared, ordinary care and common sense are sufficient.

Lucca is a magic and charming city, so ...

...Have a good stay (and forgive my english)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Peaofsweetness,

For apartments in Lucca try knowital

www.knowital.com/tuscany/lucca/accommodation/

or Slow Travel www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp…

westcoast scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

did you know about the puccini festival? loads of events .. including mozart , vivaldi ..are on that week If you havent already I'd look at www.welcomeinlucca.it ciao!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Inside or Outside the walls?

Hi

Is it me? I'm sure it is but, I can't find anything for the week 2 - 9 October ??????