We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

North West
Level Contributor
81 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

Hi - can anyone assist with a selection of Pisa airport related queries please:

1) what is the easiest mode of transport from pisa airport to florence - options - bus, train, or terravision which appears to leave at either 1245 or 1510 and I arrive at 1250 ie too early or way too late! I am thinking train but do i have to change at pisa itself?

2) flying home I fly at 0745 hrs and was planning to use something like terravision to return to the airport from florence but the time are either arriving at 0430 or 0700 which again too early or too late. so the other options are:

stay near the airport over night and go to the airport in the morning, so now I wonder do i need to stay near airport itself or in the town (are they one and the same? for distance) and what mode of transport is best to get to the airport.

3) can anyone recommend anywhere near hte airport etc or in pisa, comfortable to get our heads down but not breaking the bank

4) finally - can you travel from pisa to lucca or do you have to go from the airport? how far away is the airport from pisa?

wow if you can answer any of those questions i would be very appreciative!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

There are trains at 5 past and 35 minutes past the hour from Pisa airport, so I would take the train, but there are no direct trains to Florence around that time, so you would have to change at Pisa Centrale. I've never found it difficult to do this, but if you have a lot of luggage, a bus might be a better option.

You don't say how long you will be in Tuscany in total, but personally I would stay in Pisa for the final night and just taxi to the airport in the morning. The airport is just a few km outside the city, so the taxi won't be much and it will be nicer to wander around Pisa itself in the evening, than stay near the airport (and motorway). You will find hotels and eating out quite a bit cheaper than Florence.

Yes, you can travel by train to Lucca from Pisa centrale or Pisa San Rossore (near the tower), there is no need to depart from the airport. See www.trenitalia.com for timetables.

North West
Level Contributor
81 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

Thanks a lot for the response - that has settled my mind somewhat - I find you start reading forums and get all sorts of different responses and just need a direct one answering your specific questions. we're just going for a week (mon -mon~) and plan to fit in florence, arezzo, seina, lucca and pisa. I've visited tuscany a few years ago but travelled for three weeks and it was more relaxed and there wasnt really a need for planning until the day we landed somewhere!

Any other handy tips I need to know? Like what is the weather going to be like!! I keep getting conflicting answers off family for this one - "oh it'll be shorts weather"..."oh you'll be in trousers" - and no we wont have a lot of luggage - just flying with hand luggage.

thanks again for the update

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

When are you going?

North West
Level Contributor
81 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

end of the month

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

Bit hard to call, I'd take clothes you can layer if necessary. It could be lovely and warm with bright sunshine, but it could also be overcast and cooler, so don't pack just shorts. I usually find the msn 10 day forecasts to be pretty accurate, check them out just before you go and pack accordingly.

I hope you have a great trip.

North West
Level Contributor
81 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

well in response to all the post above and my original post - just returned from Lucca today and found out the following:

PISA AIRPORT - so much cheaper to get the train from the airport (literally outside the departures lounge) - decided to do siena first but it was easy enough - Terravision on this occassion would have been impractical and expensive.

RETURNING TO PISA - got the 0620am train from pisa to the airport taking 5 mins and we walked straight onto our plain

ACCOMODATION - got a pensione in pisa in the end and it all turned out fine

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

Glad it all worked out well.

North West
Level Contributor
81 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

and thanks for your advice - its good to go feeling a little prepared or at least having a real person tell you something as opposed to a book or a website!

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

Hi,

Just returned from Lucca. Flew out of Pisa on 7:30 AM flight. You can catch the train at the Lucca station (just outside the walls) for Pisa Central station. (about a 20-25 minute train ride). Ffrom Pisa Central station, you can catch a train to the Pisa airport. (approx 5 minute ride)

Enjoy

mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying early morning from Pisa with Ryanair

I have been told that the best way to go between Pisa and Lucca is by bus as it is only a 20min ride.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca
Recent Conversations