We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many nights in Lucca-no car?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
how many nights in Lucca-no car?

Hi, We will fly from Sicily to Pisa, and catch the train to Lucca, to be our base. We will not have a car. Interested in music (so will go to one of the concerts), history and art, architecture. (From Lucca we are going to Ravenna). We don't want to rush so I am wondering if one full day is sufficient (that is 2 nights) or should we have 3 nights, to get a "taste" of Lucca? It sounds a lovely town. Thanks in anticipation

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

I agree with you: one full day in lucca is enough...there are many churches, towers, the wonderful wells...but no museums...

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

vicolivia, in my humble opinion one day/2 nights in Lucca is not enough.

You should cycle / walk the wall ... 4.2kms.

There is a nightly concert in the former baptistry, San Giovanni, piazza San G., a must to see.

There is a museum next to the Cathedral, San Martino in P. San M.

There are one or two other museums, but I don't know where they are ... search previous threads on this forum.

I can't recall any wells in Lucca, but, of course I could be wrong.

Don't rush Ravenna if you can help it, it deserves a couple of days, at least.

Have you posted on the Ravenna Forum ? Agatha is a fount of knowledge, it is her home town and I think she eis passionate about it.lennyb

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

More ... have just looked at my map and found more museums.six.

I can only list them ... what they are museums of I don't know.

Palazzo Marzi;

Comics ( Fumetto ) both at the western side of Lucca.

Puccini's House, Piazza Citadella,near his statue.

The one by the Cathedral.( previously mentioned.)

The Mint ( Zecca ).

Villa Guinigi.

Google might give more info. lennyb

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

I'd go for three nights if you can, that way you can take in what Lucca has to offer at a comfortable pace.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

I would suggest three nights. We spent three nights in Lucca once, but on one of the days we went to Pisa. As a result, there were things I wanted to see and didn't get to see, especially some of the churches. Three nights, with no side trips, would have been perfect.

Australian in Lucca
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

I have to put my 2 cents worth in and say stay 3 nights, reiterating what others have said - ride the walls, climb Torre Guinigi, visit some of the churches, go to the concert at San Giovanni and if you are interested in Art/Architecture make sure you spend a small amount of time in Palazzo Mansi and Villa Guinigi, the National Galleries of Lucca. These are greatly underrated because they don't hold hundreds of famous works like the Uffizi, but there are still many significant works.

For example, in Palazzo Mansi there is a portrait attributed to Bronzino of Cosimo de Medici in armour, of which there is another almost identical in the Uffizi. The difference is that in Palazzo Mansi, if your group is not the only group in there, I will be very surprised. Instead of being pushed past the works, staying a metre away, you can virtually stick your nose on the paintings. Combined ticket for the two galleries is around 6euro.

Lennyb, I don't think the Birth House of Puccini is open. They closed it for renovations a while back I believe, and there's been some sort of uproar because the Puccini descendants don't want to re-open. I am happy to stand corrected on this one. Will even go and check within the next few days.

I would also suggest the bus to Lucca instead of the train, avoiding the change at Pisa Centrale - the bus will take you right into the walls of Lucca.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

Dear all, I am delighted by the generosity of you all with these very good suggestions. I will do further research. LennyB - thank you for the advice re Agatha and Ravenna - I haven't checked that forum at all, having read about the mosaics and being keen to see them, that is far as I had got. It seems to make sense to train from Lucca to Ravenna (we have spent considerable time in Sienna and Florence previsouly). Bernadette, your suggestion: <<<I would also suggest the bus to Lucca instead of the train, avoiding the change at Pisa Centrale - the bus will take you right into the walls of Lucca>>> is very interesting. I hadn't heard about this option. Does the bus leave from the Pisa train station? Also, I am looking for a pleasant B and B or 2 star little hotel, within the walls, under Euros100, and will continue this research -but if any one has a suggestion - please share it! Thanks all, again, and please keep me informed of anything else you might think of. best wishes. Vicolivia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

I think I could be happy there for a week so it would be up to you. Unfortunately, I had only 3 hours. I was tough to leave.

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

Bernadette, no worries re your comments about Puccini's house.

I just got my

museum " info from my trusty " Wanderer's Map of Lucca".

I am SOOO looking forward to the launch of the book, " A Wanderer's Guide to Lucca" which has been coming for a while.

Suspect you are nearby, Bernadette, as you have offered to go and check in a few days ... lucky you, wish I could just pop over to check, as well.

Would love to return. lennyb

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how many nights in Lucca-no car?

Re: Bus instead of train from Pisa airport to Lucca. The bus ticket office is inside the airport (just after you enter the main hall (after immigration and baggage claim) - last time I was there it was to the right. The big, comfortable Lazza buses depart from a stop just across the small parking lot, in front of the airport. You can throw your big luggage underneath the bus and haul only your carry-on onto the bus. (The driver always helps me with this "throwing".) The bus departs the airport and there's no change - and very little stopping - until you are inside the walls in Lucca. It's a rather picturesque trip of only about 40 minutes. It's my choice for Pisa Airport>Lucca.

Re: How long to allocate to Lucca. I'd say about 20 years!