We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essalunga Market

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Topic
Essalunga Market

Hello,

What type of supplies can you find at the Essalunga Market in Lucca. Do they accept MC or Visa? And what types of beer and wine do they have?

Thank you,

bay66

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Essalunga Market

It is a normal supermarket, they certainly take visa cards and will have a good range of Italian wine and beers and perhaps a few more familiar beers.

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Essalunga Market

bay66, you may already shop for fruit and veges the same way they do in Italy .... that is, put on the gloves provided, put your items into the bag provided, weigh them and put the price docket which appears from the scales onto the bag and proceed to the check out ....

OR

as here in Aus, we put our selection into the bag and the check out person weighs and costs them.

I don't know how many times I " did it my way " before I got it right. ( only a couple actually, I'm a fast learner.

Anyway, just to let you know how they do it there.... " when in Lucca ".lennyb

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Essalunga Market

Another thing, they charge for plastic carry bags so take you own, you'll have better things to spend your money on. lennyb

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essalunga Market

Hi bay66

If you have a car the Carrefour supermarket on Via s ss Annunziata is a much larger store so has a very good selection of food, wine and beers. There are signs to it at various points on the ring road outside the walls.

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Essalunga Market

Thank you,

LennyB, do you have any idea if in general MC and Visa are accepted in Tuscany. I have one person in our group that swears up and down MC isn't accepted anywhere which I find very hard to believe. And of course my predominant CC is MC,..so you see my concern.

bay66

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essalunga Market

Hello again

Found this in a guide to Italy "Visa and MasterCard.

Both cards are accepted at shops throughout Italy (where credit cards are accepted)."

Please note that some restaurants e.g. Trattoria da Leo in Lucca, only take cash as do some smaller shops.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
421 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essalunga Market

There are four branches of Esselunga in Lucca, San Concordio, via Carlo del Prete, a new one at via Castracani after the underpass and one out at Marlia. They all have quality food and drink supplies, better than you will find at Carrefour. There is also a small Sidis in the city centre at Piazza del Carmine. For hams, salamis and good wine you will be better off in the city using the delis and wine shops. For sure they accept Visa, dont believe there will be a problem with MC. Some not all places will ask foreigners for id when paying with cards, which it is law you should carry anyways.

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Essalunga Market

We visited the new Esselunga near the underpass at via Castracani which looked very impressive from the outside but were surprised it was the same size as the one on via Carlo del Prete. Unless they had filled the empty space at the front of the store we would not bother again.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
421 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Essalunga Market

Agree with Mesh the new one appears to be work in progress, and not the best one, but if its convenient I would not turn it down. There is also a PAM just off the ring road around the walls which has improved recently and is not bad.

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Essalunga Market

Thank you for your help. By :identification" do you mean a passport or would an identification card be okay as well.

Thanks again

bay66

Get answers to your questions about Lucca