We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip To Lucca

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Our Trip To Lucca

Thank you Trip Advisees. We have recently returned from 6 glorious days in Lucca. We could have easily stayed there another week. We really enjoyed our stay at the very special Alla Corte degli Angeli right off Via Fillunga where we were made to feel right at home. A moonlight hike on Monte Pisano booked through www.eco-guide.it turned out to be an amazing, informative 4 hour walk with Emilio who taught us so much about the history and ecology of this unique area of Tuscany.

I would be happy to share our experience with anyone who has any questions.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

Could you please post some more details of you rstay? where you ate, where you walked, what special sites you visited? We will be in Lucca next June for 4 days; no special plans but to enjoy the place.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

How did you travel to Lucca - train or car? Were there alot of taxis around the city?

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

What was so much fun about stying in Lucca, inside the walls, is just heading out of your hotel, B & B, taking a map and walking up and down, in and out of the streets and piazzas. For us it was a trip of serendipidity. Everywhere we went there was music; indoors in churches and schools and outdoors in the ancient Piazza Anfiteatro or near Puccini's statue. We visited the lovely Botanical Garden and walked around outside the walls, visiting all the old gates into the city. We went hiking with www.eco-guide.it up Mount Pisano.We did not have a car until our last day when we visited Borgo A Mozzano and walked across the famous Devil's Bridge and had a fabulous lunch at Osteria I Macelli back in the town. While in Lucca we enjoyed meals at: Trattoria Da Francesca, Lacundo Bacco and Trattoria Gigi. We think most restaurants in Lucca, especially those away from the main tourist areas are excellent and the wait staff are most attentive and helpful.

Enjoy your visit. We were in Lucca in September when it is supposed to be less busy. However, it was quite crowded with tourists from everywhere, including Italy.

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

We had a taxi meet us at the airport. Our hotel made the arrangements for us. There are frequent buses and trains to Lucca. Once there you do not need a taxi to go anywhere within the city walls. It is a walking or bike riding city.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

Thank you for all your advice. It helped alot!

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

We just got back. Well its been afew weeks, but putting together my album, really took us back to Lucca. Anyone need help with day trips or info regarding the town let me know. I would love to share.

bay66

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

we are planning an italy trip in april and were considering staying at hotel ilaria in the walls of lucca. i was just wondering if you saw this hotel and how it compared to the hotel you stayed at. thank you.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

Check the reviews for the Ilaria here on TA - they are excellent. It's certainly a good location, within the walls.

We have just returned from a week's stay in Lucca and we were bowled over by this lovely little city. It is unspoilt and atmospheric, and although it has plenty of tourists, they do not seem to overwhelm the place, and it is blessedly free of tacky souvenir stalls. The thing to do is hire a bike and cycle about, which is what the locals do. Great fun!

Enjoy your trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

i wonder if you had seen the hotel ilaria and what your impressions of it were. thank you.

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Trip To Lucca

Hi saintwend

We have spent our last 7 annual holidays in Lucca in apartments not hotels but always stay in the area that the hotel Ilaria is situated. Look at hotelilaria.com/hotel-lucca-gallery_en.asp In the foreground of the picture is the annex and in the background, on the right, you can see the main part of the hotel, you can just about see the name running down the side of the wall. The entrance to the car park is just by the tree .

Hope this gives you some more insight.

mesh