We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
453 posts
78 reviews
How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Pisa to Lucca Train or Bus?

I will add this as a top question so any additions are welcomed, its a frequently asked question and the answer is not straight forward.I hope its all covered correctly!

Tickets> you can buy either Trenitalia or Lazzi bus tickets in the arrival hall on your far right as soon as you exit the customs area. The cost is pretty much the same either way, less than 3 euros each way. Both issue tickets that are neither marked for the destination or dated. As with most public transport in Italy the onus is on the passenger to time/date stamp the ticket, for trains its the yellow machines on platforms and station ticket halls, for buses its on the bus as you enter. In other words you can use the tickets on other journeys, the Trenitalia 30km ticket can be used for example on Lucca-Viareggio and I believe the fare is the same and is true for the bus ticket so that should be possible to.

Some of us have a preference for train or bus travel and often put this is “the best way”. The best way is the one that fits your plans.

By train, you can leave from the airport and catch the airport train to Pisa Central, first train 05.35, generally at 05 and 35 mins past the hour with some minor exceptions, last train 22.20. Its a 5 minute journey and you then have to make your way down from platform 14, usually to the small platforms 1 and 2 Ovest (west) (not the main 1 and 2). If you have a lot of baggage or are less mobile there are lifts to the main platforms, 1-13, I think there is only a slope at 14. Some few trains a day run through to Firenze and go into the main platforms.(If you are going in reverse from Lucca make sure you look at the board to be certain the Airport train is platform 14.) The Pisa Central-Lucca trains are timetabled for 25-35 mins. But with the buses too there are gaps around mid-late morning, for the trains 10.20 is the last until 12.20 but otherwise they are generally every 30mins, last train is 21.50 (Lucca 22.17). Generally allowing for the changing of trains allow 1hour for the journey to Lucca station, but is quicker if everything is on time.

Buses leave from infront of the airport, to the right of the taxi stand. Generally one or two and hour, last one at 21.08. The journey is timetabled at 55mins to 1 hour. Depending on traffic it can be a little quicker, but the route goes through Pisa so is subject to traffic, the timetable has some allowance built in so a smooth journey can take 45mins. There is a large luggage area in the hull of the bus, so this is an option of your are traveling with awkward luggage which might be difficult to lift onto the train luggage rack.

The choice between either method should take into consideration where you are staying in Lucca, your luggage and mobility, the less mobile the likelihood the bus will be better. As a general rule I would suggest using via Fillungo as a marker. If you are staying west of Fillungo, the bus station is closer at Piazza Verdi. Staying east the train station is closer. There are generally more taxis at the station if needed, although you can also get on the bus stop.

Buses:http://www.vaibus.it/ >orario e tarrife >linne extra urbane

don’t forget Feriale is work days. Monday to Saturday, Festivo is Sundays and holidays.

Trenitalia: http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/ has a english button, but also has the ability to give answers to your day/time.

LastlyTaxis from Pisa airport should be pre-booked. From the stand at the airport could be paying Eur 70+ depending on the driver going via San Guliano or the motorway.

portland, maine
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

thanks for this great info!

2. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 19:31
north yorkshire
3 posts
3. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

which Pisa airport are you referring to?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,690 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Tourists75:

The information in the original post refers to Pisa airport, which is the airport at Pisa. From Florence airport, you would take the bus to Florence station and then either bus or train to Lucca.

It is a very bad idea to put your email address onto a public form: it is an open invitation for spam. I suggest that you delete the post containing your address by clicking on "Report inappropriate posting" and then selecting "Remove my posting".

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
185 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Pisa airport is PSA. Florence Airport (Peretola) is FLR. Tourists75 should look at the printout of their flight reservation to determine which airport they are landing at.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,912 posts
221 reviews
6. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

So, which is the better option, Pisa or Florence if you are going to fly from the UK and stay in Lucca?

United States
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

For me a flight into PSA, a short walk across the parking lot to the bus, and a direct ride inside the walls of Lucca would be my preference and exactly what I did recently.

Flying into Florence would mean getting from the airport into the center to either the train station or the bus station and a longer trip.

TAB

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,912 posts
221 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Cheers Tab! nice and simple is what I was looking for.

United States
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

You're welcome.

Buon viaggio!

TAB

north yorkshire
3 posts
10. Re: How to get from Pisa airport to Lucca

Thank you very much for the info. Do you by any chance know what times the buses run? We will be getting into Pisa about 5pm

Many thanks Tourists75