We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi

We normally always do the Canaries as we have young children - but this year we would love to visit Italy!.. However we know so little about Italy and still require a location that we can eat out and go for walks each evening - so being stuck in the middle of now-where just wouldn't suite us.

Where in Italy woud be good for young chidren that they can still mix with other chidlren, but also allows us has a good mix of restaurants and lovely charming shops!

Ok, am I being totally silly and should stick to Spain?

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi

Just wondering why you have posted on the Lucca forum, have you seen something about Lucca that you think may suit you? Lucca is a walled medieval city or are you looking for a resort?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi

Yes read over the points on the forum and thought is sounded good - am I correct or is it more a sight-seeing town?

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi

Lucca gives you a real taste of Italian way of life. It is a place where people live and work and not just a tourist attraction.There are many restaurants and plenty of shops within the city. It is surrounded by very wide walls which are about 3 miles long and on which the you can walk, ride bikes (plenty of bike hire places) or just sit and watch the world go by whilst sampling the delicious ice-cream. There are childrens play areas on the walls and by the bus station. There are towers to climb and the narrow streets to wander.The bus station is within the walls and the train station is just outside so day trips to Florence, Pisa and the coast etc are very easy do. As you might have guessed I am very biased towards Lucca!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

What time of year are you going? How old are the children? If you went to Spain, where in Spain were you considering?

I ask these questions because I'm trying to understand what you usually look for in a vacation. Lucca is a beautiful city. The top of the wall is really a park, where families stroll, ride bikes, and eat ice cream. There are other parks and piazzas in the town, and I've seen a carousel in one of them. However, I don't think there's much in the way of activities specifically for children. I also don't know how they could play with the other children if they don't speak the same language.

If you're looking for a place where your children would be able to play with other English speaking children, one of the seaside areas frequented by English speakers would maybe be better, if you're going in summer. There are plenty of these, but I'm not the best person to advise you. My experience with my granddaughter, who (so far) speaks only English, is that it's not easy for her to play with Italian children. Both she and they tend to freeze up when they realize there is a language barrier. If she could spend a few months here and learn the language, I'm sure it would become very easy.

5. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 19:09
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

My Italian friends' very young children are studying English in school and are delighted to try it out on my family. ("What is your favorite color? What is your favorite animal?") We also enjoyed watching quite young (three-ish) French guests in the hotel where we stay trying out their Italian on other guests. I didn't notice any young ones being in the least intimidated by not knowing the language of other children. I observe, frequently, youngsters spontaneously joining other kids already at play in the playground areas along the wall. Running, playing, climbing know no specific language. Bring your kids to Lucca. There's lots for kids to do, not the least of which is a nice energy-depleting ride around the walls (more than one circuit!) on a rental bike.

Pigeon chasing/feeding in Piazza San Michele seems to be a big favorite, as does gelato from the shop just behind the church. There is usually the carousel in Piazza Napoleone. There are frequently puppet shows and other kid-oriented theatrical events within the walls.

We are furiously saving dollars to bring my grandchildren (ages 4 and 6) to Lucca. We can, all, hardly wait.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

I only know what I observed when my granddaughter has been in Italy. There are two little girls a little older than her in our building. They also are learning English in school and say some things to me in English to practice. But when my granddaughter attempted to play with them, they all giggled at each other and said nothing. After a few weeks of this, they began playing together, but without using many words.

More or less the same thing has always happened when we've been at the beach with her. She tries very hard to get involved with the other children, but when they realize she doesn't understand what they're saying, they ignore her and continue playing with the many other children who *do* understand them. We want her to learn Italian, but we've pretty much decided it will take more than a month, which is the most my daughter can get away usually. When she's a little older, maybe she can spend the whole summer with me.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi,

My suggestion is nowhere near Lucca, but have you considered Lake Garda? It is very popular with families, particularly in the south near the theme parks of Gardaland and Canevaworld.

All the towns on the lake have something worth seeing, and travelling by boat from place to place is a lovely way of getting around. There are a few castles to explore, a cable car up to Monte Baldo and some lovely lakeside walks. In the evenings the atmosphere is wonderful with families all out walking, shopping, trying out the local restaurants or just enjoying an ice cream.

Naturally I'm biased but I think the lake would tick all your boxes.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

I think Lake Garda might be the ideal location, actually. You can even make a day trip into Venice from there. There are direct trains from Peschiera del Garda that take less than an hour and a half.

However, since FallyG hasn't returned to the forum, maybe she's given up on the idea altogether.

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where in Italy for a family orientated holiday?

Hi!!!

My suggestion is for the northern Tuscan coast!!! You have plenty of hotel choice according to your budget, beaches are long and sandy, most of beach clubs have reastaurant and entertainment activities for children.

Also the land is very attractive for shopping, art and history, for example the little towns of Pietrasanta, Carrara, Sarzana are at just few miles away of the beaches!!! Then the cinque terre are easily reacheble by train or boat and of course Lucca, Pisa for some day trips!!!! What else....if you need to refresh you could spend a day in the Lunigiana area visiting some castles or simply enjoying the nature....maybe you can understand...I'm proudly from this area...send me a message to know more

Enjoy your stay

Get answers to your questions about Lucca