We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

We are travelling Italy by train - first time visitors - but will hire a car for a couple of days to see Tuscany. We are staying just outside San Gimignano. My husband would like to visit Lucca, Volterra and Siena, but is apprehensive of the driving. It is easy to park outside these towns and get in? Advice would be appreciated. Also, we would only have an hour to two in each. If this is the case, should we skip some and focus on just one or two?

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

Yes parking and driving is easy.

Outside the walls in Lucca and just walk in. There is a large underground carpark up the top of the hill Volterra is situated on. Siena is a bit less definite but you just have to follow the P signs.

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

Siena has a very handy parking called "il Campo", there are signs already at entering Siena leading you to the parking. The walk from the parking to the main square is very short.

Lucca, as mentioned, just park outside the walls, as close to a gate as you can.

Australian in Lucca
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

Hi, a while back I posted some information on parking in Lucca - thread here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187898-i832-k3395…

I have just re-checked it and all information is current (and I noticed a couple of typos, too).

There are also public car parking spaces immediately inside the walls at Porta Sant'Anna, Porta San Pietro and Porta Santa Maria. These parking spaces are very limited and you'd have to be early to get a spot there (either before 10am or maybe at 230pm when everyone is closed for lunch). Parking outside the walls is easy and only a few minutes walk.

If you are talking about doing Siena, Lucca and Volterra in one day, I think you need to forget about it. Lucca and Volterra are almost two hours apart, as are Lucca and Siena. Back roads mean slow roads, so don't be fooled by short distances - max 60/70kmh on the back roads, and loads of speed cameras in Siena and Florence Provinces.

You could easily spend a whole day in any one of these cities (or 7 years), and I don't think it would be much of a day trip to park, rush in and out, and onto the next destination. If you come to Lucca, walking or riding on the walls is the essential experience. But then there's so much more!

Edited: 08 August 2010, 19:41
4. Re: Parking near Lucca and Siena, quick visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 07:16