We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palazzo Mansi o Pfanner?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FINLANDIA
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Palazzo Mansi o Pfanner?

Hi,

visiting Lucca on a day trip, which one of these palaces would ypu recommend? Staying in Florence, I am not that interested in art, more in seeing beautiful buildings and interiors. Mansi is gorgeus, but most of it is art gallery, isn'it it? Pfanner has a lovely garden that is interesting.

Also planning on doing le mure di lucca, torre guinici, piazza anfiteatro and some of the churches, what else would you recomend?

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palazzo Mansi o Pfanner?

I think you may get a better picture of the city by planning a circular route and taking in some of the buildings on the way. If you are spending time in Florence you will have ample opportunity to see plenty of interiors there of course, to appreciate Lucca you will most likely get more out of a walk around than concentrating on either of these two buildings.

Firstly check out what exhibitions are on during your visit, whilst the exhibition itself might not be interesting, the building hosting it might be and these are not always open. The Palazzo Ducale on Piazza Napoleone often has free exhibitions which allow access to a number of the rooms and is still in use as government offices, the complex and its history of the Bonapart/Bourbone rule is central to the city.

As you wander round a couple of the shops offer glimpses of their past lives, Pepsi and Vinci the upmarket fashion shop in the corner of Piazza Bernadini on via Santa Croce has show rooms on the ground floor of the Palazzo, in via Fillungo go upstairs in La Gardenia, (they have a photo of the ceiling in the shop doorway). You will find many fine shop fronts preserved.

Out of the two you mentioned Mansi is the better for the interior, the garden of Pfanner is pleasant but I would not make it a priority, the exhibition in the small number of rooms is ok but there is nothing exceptional about the interior that you can see. As you are talking about seeing the walls, I would suggest you hire a bike and you can see the Pfanner garden, and the structure of the building from the walls.

FINLANDIA
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palazzo Mansi o Pfanner?

Thank you so much for your reply! I think You are right, we shall concentrate on enjoying Lucca outside and maybe visit some house if we're up to it, also depending on the weather. Grazie!

3. Re: Palazzo Mansi o Pfanner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 05:17