We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day car rental in Lucca??

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 day car rental in Lucca??

Hello!

We've booked a trip to Tuscany for April 2011 and are looking forward to our 2 days there. My husband has cousins that live in the countryside about 30 mins from Lucca. We will be traveling from Florence by train but wondered if it would be possible to rent a car in Lucca for just a day so we can go see these relatives? Lame question I know but it's been ages since I rented a car and certainly never in Italy! Can you get a car early in the a.m. and return it late at night (dinner is so late in Italy)? Or do they charge you for a 24 hr period?

Thanks for any and all suggestions or tips! Our first trip ANYWHERE in 8 years and I am beyond excited :-)

Elle

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

One-day rentals are always quite expensive, especially if you want an automatic. Try www.autoeurope.com

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

There are a couple of car rental locations in Lucca. I used one just outside the walls at P. Verdi. Since you didn't ask about cost, you probably know that short term rentals are more expensive. I did a test request for you through AutoEurope and ran into a 3 day minimum rental requirement. Once in Lucca, you might find a local place that will do one day rentals.

If you do find somewhere who will do a one day rental, ask about drop-off procedures after hours as these places have regular office hours (9-7or so). The location I used did not have secure after hours parking and I had to find a meter to feed until they opened in the morning. All the free parking near me had filled up by the time I returned for the day.

This is another broker site and lists 4 car hire locations in Lucca:

carrentals.co.uk/car-hire/lucca-guide.html

TAB

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

I would go into the Avis office after you arrive. You will find that the people there who have the cars will be much more cooperative than the scheduling computer.

No guarantee, but best bet.

And right, automatic will be expensive - and they will probably charge you for a full 24 hours.

CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

Great suggestions! Yes, we realized it might be expensive. We are ok with manual transmission. My husband's family is from a small town about 30 mins from Lucca. You can only get their via car (irregular bus schedules) so we were hoping to tour the area in a car one day. We found a place that will rent for $118 for the day. Hmmm.....I will keep looking and see what I can find. Thanks!!

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

You might want taking the train to Pisa, renting a car there for the day

Check this website - daily rentals from 32 euros http://www.enoleggioauto.it/

returning the car there and hopping on the next train or bus to Florence.

CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

Good idea--we'll have to look into it--thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

As others have said, one-day rentals are expensive but if you are willing to put up with the cost, go for it. Note that the cost is not just money but the amount of time spent to get the paperwork done, drive out and return your car. Consider a 2-day rental and drive to the beautiful countryside and smaller towns.

The usual consensus is you should book in advance rather than arriving at a location without a reservation. You normally get cheaper rates with a reservation and guaranteed availability.

Please note that a valid International Driving Permit is required to rent in Italy. You can get one at your local AAA.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

I agree ask when you get to Lucca as I'm sure you would get a better deal.

9. Re: 1 day car rental in Lucca??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 09:11