We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day Trips

Columbia, SC
11 posts
Save Topic
Best Day Trips

Traveling to Lucca In May 2011. Four adults. Best advice on day trips to Sienna, San Gimignano, Pisa, Florence, Cinque Terre, Wine Tasting. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Day Trips

Hi,

In my opinion I would definitely drop Pisa. The reason for dropping Pisa is that each time we pass the leaning tower on the bus there are many hundreds of people crowded in the campo dei miracoli which is surrounded by tacky market stalls, some selling cheap artefacts from Africa(?)

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Columbia, SC
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Day Trips

Thanks for the opinion. Did not plan on spending a lot of time there but wanted to see one of the iconic images of Italy on our first trip to Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Day Trips

Will you have a hire car or be relying on public transport (which would be best for most of these destinations anyway)?

Columbia, SC
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Day Trips

We plan on using public transport if possible. One tour company had us paying for a hire car and a tour leader and still paying for an "official" guide for just four people. This seems a bit much even if Sienna and San Gimignano are hard to get to,

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Day Trips

Well as you probably know, visiting Pisa, Florence and Cinque Terre by train from Lucca is easy. Visiting wineries, Siena and San Gimignano is much more difficult. You could hire a car and take yourselves to Siena and San Gimignano for a day, although one day rentals are very expensive - still probably less than hire car plus guide. However, wineries is another matter as the legal alcohol limit is so low in Italy, you can really only have one glass of wine and be safe to drive.

Have you looked into finding a private driver who will take you from Lucca to San G, Siena and a winery for the day?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Day Trips

Hi again,

I don't know if this will be any help to you notordinaryways.com/tuscany-tours/tuscany-wi… We have not used them but know they have been in Lucca for a number of years.

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Columbia, SC
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Day Trips

Thanks. Do you know of any private drivers you would recommend?

Columbia, SC
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Day Trips

Thanks for the website, Mesh

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Day Trips

If you get the train to Pisa from Lucca, consider getting off at Pisa San Rossore station (one stop short of Pisa Centrale). It is a very short walk to the field of miracles, probably 300 metres rather than about 1.5km from the main train station through town. We walked back to to Pisa Centrale to see the town via a signposted tourist walk which was worth doing.

I thougt the same as you about the leaning tower but when I got there the whole field of miracles site was quite spectacular and in my view well worth it (even with the crowds)

I'm sure you will love Lucca

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Day Trips

Respectfully disagree on "bagging Pisa". The duomo is a rare treat, the campo santo is fascinating and the museum is lovely - with some photo opportunities off the loggia that you cannot otherwise achieve. Also, walk through Piazza Calvalieri and go to Federico Salza for a memorable lunch...you'll think it only the most amazing pasticeria you've even seen, but proceed to the back for a grand dining experience.

We hired Tau Touring to drive us on an excursion to Volterra and San Gimignano. Driver only, but English-speaking and wonderful. Went to Volterra first - leaving Lucca early - and then over to San Gim. for lunch at Bel Sogiorno - another true treat - and thence "on the town" when things opened up after the mid-day break. You can self-guide in both towns and its a great , if longish, day's adventure. Don't miss the alabaster-carving studios in Volterra.

Mentioned in this post
Volterra
Volterra
Province of Pisa, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy