We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to drink in Lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Places to drink in Lucca

I'll be going to Lucca for my honeymoon in a few weeks time, and I think we have this ideal in our minds of sitting in a quiet watering hole on an evening, perhaps with some mellow live music, sipping some wine or local spirits. Perhaps a place to people watch a bit. Is there anywhere you'd recommend, and can you give an idea for how much drinks cost? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,116 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

The town is very walkable as there is almost no vehicular traffic. So a bar on the Via Filungo which is the main pedestrian street and very lovely, or on the square in front of Piazza san Michele or in the Piazza del Anfiteatro (off via Filungo).

Puccini was a son of Lucca so you can often find concerts of his music, especially near Piazza San Michele.

toscana
Level Contributor
775 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

A great little wine bar is "I Santi" - via dell'Anfiteatro 29/a,

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
407 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

There are several places to soak up the evening atmosphere in Lucca, the best by far is Piazza Napoleone. This is the place where on warm evenings you will see locals catching up whilst the kids play. There are plenty of benches to sit and a few bars/cafes on the edge although none stand out as great. Piazza Anfiteatro is ok, but a bit too touristy for me, with prices to match. and its not really on anyones through route or a local meeting point. There is a pleasant little bar on Piazza San Frediano just off via Filungo, but perhaps my favourite place of all is at the bottom of via Vitoria Veneto as the road leads up to the walls, on the slope there are a number of benches, grab an ice cream as you pass Venata take a pew on a bench on the slope and you can watch the people traffic on the walls. The Anitca Cafe della Mura at the top of the slope has been closed for some years but renovations are now nearing completion and it looks likely to be open soon, I have hopes this will be a good place to spend a few evening hours doing exactly as you ask.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

Hello,

I have been searching the web for a contact tel/email for Antico Caffe delle Mura but those listed do not appear to work. Have you visited the reopened Cafe? Would it be possible to pass on a contact email/fax or phone number.

I hope you do not mind me asking.

Regards

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

Hi,

When we were back in Lucca this July the Caffe Delle Mura appeared to have finished being renovated but there was no signs of it re-opening. It just had posters on the windows with it's name but no other information.

mesh

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
407 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

As of last week it was still not open, the outside building is done, but there was no sign of interior activity. Surprising as I understand there is a tenant in place. Summer has passed them by....

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

Hi suffolk,

I can't recall if I last saw the cafe delle mura open in 2001 or 2002. Can you remember when it closed? It's not important but it was bugging me!

mesh

albuquerque
Level Contributor
963 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

There's a very cute place overlooking P. Napoleone, I believe its called Gino's Bar. It has a wonderful shaded outdoor deck, nice wines and appetizers, simple meals. Too too expensive either.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
407 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

Hi Mesh, my guess is about the time you mention, seems to have been closed for years, I know the last time I ate there was 1999! It was open for a few years after that. I understand the new operators have a 10 year licence from the city to operate it in return for the renovation. As with all things Italian thats probably over simplifying it but it came from a good friend, a local in business in the city, Its actually quite an important building as well as having a great location and I look forward to it being reopened.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
963 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to drink in Lucca

Make that NOT too expensive