We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

We are 2 couples who will be spending 3 nights in Lucca in September. hile there, we would lie to go to a vineyard for wine tasting and luncheon. Can anyone make any recommendations for us?

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

I know of a company that does wine tours around Lucca. I have not been on a tour but I worked with the company in an apartment rental situation.

http://www.notordinaryways.com/

For a DIY tour, you could contact this place:

http://www.fattoriadifubbiano.it/

TAB

Edited: 06 April 2011, 00:45
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

We asked Tau Touring to arrange exactly this (plus a stop first at Villa Torrigiani) for us - a group of five. They did an absolutely stunning job.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Hi Velvet1,

We just returned from a trip to Lucca and we were also 2 couples looking for a wine tour. There is a vineyard in Montecarlo, which is about a 20-30 minute taxi ride from Lucca. Chiara is the host who met us and took us on the tour of the wine cellar and led us through the wine tasting. We all thought that she did an excellent job! We enjoyed a beautiful lunch with spectacular views....all for 15 euros per person. The taxi was an additional 90 euros. We paid 22 euros an hour to have the driver wait for us, which was cheaper than having her come back for us. The total trip was 80 euros per couple including the tip for the driver. Here's the contact info and website in case you are interested.

buonamico@buonamico.com (email)

Via Prov. di Montecarlo 43

55015 Montecarlo - Italia

Tel. : +39 0583 22038

Fax : +39 0583 229528

http://www.buonamico.it/

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

If you look into the trip to Montecarlo and find a private driver from Lucca too steep, it is a 20 minute train trip and costs €1.90/one way. You could then get a taxi from the station to the winery and back.

TAB

Massachustts
Level Contributor
180 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Thanks so much for this suggestion! Sounds as though Montecarlo is the closest winery and sounds lovely and we will probably do as you suggest. In the event we want to travel a little further outside of Lucca, any other ideas? The couple we are going wiith is from Houston also!

Any good casual restaurant recommendations? Thanks again!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

We were there 5 nights and took day trips to Pisa and Florence. With only 3 nights I would take the wine tour and spend the rest of the time in Lucca. We rode bikes on the wall around the city, which was a lot of fun. Climb one of the towers for amazing views and photo ops. We knew that we were really not allowing enough time for Florence, but it was a day trip or nothing due to our schedule. Pisa was perfect for a half day trip in my opinion. We never had a bad meal, but there are some places that serve microwave food. When in doubt just ask if the food is prepared fresh. When we wandered into one of the microwave places they were very gracious and sent us to a lovely place that had excellent food. I will see if I can find the names of the restaurants where we ate and I will post them later.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Hi,

Our favourite restaurants in the city are Trattoria da Leo on via Tegrini(www.trattoriadaleo.it) sit inside for a more local atmosphere (no credit cards accepted), Antico Sigillo on via degli Angeli (off via Fillungo, the main shopping street) http://www.anticosigillo.it/ and Gli Orti di via Elisa on the via Elisa (www.ristorantegliorti.it. La Bottega delle cose Buone, via della Fratta, 21 . Small, rustic deli and wine shop with a few tables at the back. Frequented by locals which is a good recommendation. The pasta/ragu was excellent.

mesh

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Hi again,

For good pizza Rosticeria Piccolo Mondo, 5 Piazza Cocomeri, just off piazza S. Michele. It is just behind the newspaper kiosk. They are closed on Thursday's.

mesh

mackay
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

Are u guys serious about some restaurants microwave their food? Is it many?

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
407 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day excursion to a vineyard with lunch?

I fear its a practice used in many places across the globe, not just Lucca, and some serve great food, there is nothing wrong with the careful use of shortcuts, all chefs take shortcuts or save time. Some of the restaurants receiving rave reviews here on TA use them a lot. Go back to Feb 2009 when the local government enacted a local law broadly speaking to try and ensure traditional dishes were served as they felt too many fast food influences were destroying traditions, theres a lot of press about this if you dig around as it was reported globally. Overseas it was generally mis-interrpeted as anti ethnic food and there are many points of view, but generally I understand the idea was to try and preserve the Italian tradition of family eating simple local food cooked well. A less reported part of the issues that arose from the publicity is that at that time there were only two proper *old style" trattoria inside Lucca where everything was freshly cooked, they were Da Leo and Gigi. Do not confuse that statement as a catch all, its not, the old structure of restaurants being, osteria, trattoria, ristorante etc is also misunderstood by many visitors as to what they should expect. So it doesn't mean that all the restaurants in Lucca micro their food, far from it. Despite this generally the bad meal across Italy is the exception, if only we could say the same in the UK.