We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa /Lucca or Florence

Bristol
Level Contributor
205 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa /Lucca or Florence

Friends weare going with have now dropped out so we have more flexibility. Where would you suggest we stay if have two full days (3 nights) & are flying into pisa airport,about 8.00pm

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

I wouldn't stay in Pisa. Lucca is lovely but small, so I would go for Florence, it has so much to see & do, even after 2 full days you will only have scratched the surface.

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

If you have not been to Tuscany before then I would suggest staying in Florence. It really is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy with lots to see. Apart from the obvious tower in the Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa, there is not really much else to see there. Lucca is a beautiful town - we spent a wonderful week there last September - still, I would suggest seeing Florence first. You can take the train directly from Pisa airport into Florence.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

We trained into Pisa, then flew out of there 10 days later (Aug). Stayed at an agritoursimo. Didn't go to Lucca. Did a day trip to Florence. I think the advice in the first 2 relies is dead-on. If you'd like an outline of our trip including what worked/highlights/etc., Send an email pkelly@triton.net

Paul

retired elementary teacher

Michigan, USA

4. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2006, 21:31
UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

If you decide to base yourself in Florence, my favourite hotel is the Bellettini, via dei Conti. Is is very centrally located, less than 5 minutes from the Duomo. It is run by a very friendly and helpful family, the rooms are basic, clean but with lovely touches and the rates very reasonable.

Italy
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

I would sleep the first night in Pisa, spend there the following morning, then get the train to go to Florence!

7. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2006, 22:57
Bristol
Level Contributor
205 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

I am not planning to hire a car, so this would be inappropriate.

Bristol
Level Contributor
205 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

I am not planning to hire a car, so this would be inappropriate.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pisa /Lucca or Florence

Consider doing a "hub-and-spoke" out of Lucca, especially since you are arriving at Pisa at 8:00 - IF you arrive on time. Lucca hotels are cheaper/friendlier, Lucca is a lovely town to "come home to", bus service to Florence is splendid. Lucca is only 25-ish miles from Pisa and even if you must get a taxi, it's not a purse-breaker. Check into hotel (we like Hotel Puccini, not fancy, but clean and great location) and have a nice dinner at Trattoria da Leo. Get the hotel at which you reserve to get you a reservaton...I believe da Leo will take reservatons as late at 9:30 p.m. - or later. (Again, not fancy, but great food, great rollicking trattoria-ambience.) Next day, take the bus (station is inside the Lucca walls) to Florence. The bus will take you - non-stop - to a great location close to everything in Florence. Spend all day in Florence (stop at the San Lorenzo street market on your way back to the bus and take back some well-priced "stuff") and bus "Home" to Lucca. Next day, take the bus to Pisa and spend half a day there. Then bus back to Lucca and enjoy Lucca, a truly spelndid town. Dinner that night - splurge -at Antico Cafe de la Mura on the walls which surround Lucca's historic center. Enjoy!