We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Fredericton
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

We are headed to Italy for 2 weeks this coming September, flying into Venice and out of Rome.

Our tentative itinerary is:

-3 Nights Venice

-3 Nights Manarola (CT)

-3 Nights Florence

-5 Nights Rome

However, I've heard great things about Lucca, and would love to see it... is it worth taking a night away from CT? I was thinking we could train from Venice to Lucca for the night, then head to CT the next morning (and only stay for 2 nights).

Any opinions (as always) greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Misha, I think it would be a stop too many, you already have 4 destinations. The C.T. are just a string of tarted up old fishing villages but nevertheless would give you a nice variety on a mainly sightseeing trip. And a view of the sea for a few days is always good in my book.

>I've heard great thing about Lucca< well have you heard great things about Padua, Verona, Mantua, Bologna, Ferrara, etc etc etc. ! you will just have to pace it out over a lifetime like the rest of us (until you run out of money that is !)

All the best

Bob.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Mantua
Mantua
Province of Mantua, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
Province of Ferrara, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

I would swap the three nights in Cinque Terre for three nights in Lucca and make a day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca.

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Hi Mishafrisky,

I think that Itrav31 is being a little rude! I would highly recommend going to Lucca, but then I'm very biased! I've never had the desire to visit CT or Florence so can't be objective about them. I'm sure other posters will be more helpful.

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

We did a slow trip that focused on Lucca and Cinque Terre on our last trip and loved them both... I really, really loved Lucca and on our next trip I'm focussing more on Tuscany but we are making a trip back to Lucca again- 2nts... We just love it, before we fly out of Pisa.

Our favorite day in CT was hiking from Vernazza to Cornigula, lunch at A Cantina de Mananan... then train to Riomaggoire walk down to the beach and go left around the cliff side to another beach to relax... then a drink in Riomaggoire and then time it so you can walk the "Walk of Love" during the sunset to Manarola... then train back to where ever you are basing from. Excellent day. Our 2nd favorite day is when we took a boat taxi to Portovenere...worth doing from the boat taxi's but kind of complicate via train. So I think you can hit the CT highlights in 2 days.

Lucca is wonderful though we only spent about 3 days total. It is charming, interesting yet with a fun nightlife but not over the top.. we really relaxed here and enjoyed it so much I had to work it back into our next trip. Stay in the historical center and rent bikes 1-2 hrs someday and ride around on the top of the wall...if you're not into biking its fun just to walk it with everyone else when they come out and stroll the city... We also had excellent meals here. Lucca is why I'm wanting to visit more of Tuscany on my trip in Nov.

My 2 cents

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,073 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Portovenere
Portovenere
2,689 Reviews
Porto Venere, Italy
Canada
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

I would love to know the attractions and GREAT things about Lucca

We are in Florence for 4 days during our Italy trip am curious about Lucca.

We planned on seeing Siena but had not heard of Lucca

Please let me know your opinions

Thanks

robin

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Fredericton
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Thanks for the response Itrav- I am very aware there are more places in Italy than I can explore in my lifetime :)

I am married to a man who is from a small fishing area, and his weekends are spent fishing regularly... so the CT is definitely a must. I think I need to stick to my original itinerary, as tempting as it is to add other spots.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Fredericton
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Peggypatch- thanks for the response! CT is on my husband's "must" list... but I am aching to ride those talked about walls in Lucca... I'm still struggling here... not enough time to do it all!

Do you think it's worth stopping in Lucca, even if only for the afternoon and/or a night?

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Fredericton
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Mesh- thank you for the response!

My husband is an avid fisherman, so CT is definitely staying on our agenda (I am surprising him with a boat tour, our big splurge for our entire trip).

But at the same time, I'm just pulled toward Lucca... the walls entice me. Do you think it's worth even just spending an afternoon there?

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Fredericton
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Jujubeetravel, thanks for your two cents :)

I took a look at your travel itinerary (out of curiousity)- it looks great!

This will be mine and my husbands only trip to ITaly (and Europe for that matter) for a long time as we are planning on starting a family in the near future. So, I am trying to balance seeing the sights with drinking it all in.

As much as I know that Lucca shouldn't be on the itinerary, I'm really thinking even an afternoon would be worth it for me... but I'm going to have to think it through. The main thing I would love to do is bike the walls.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth adding Lucca to Itinerary?

Hi again,

As I said I am biased; for the last decade we have spent our summer holidays in Lucca, and yes, I think it is worth a visit!

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy