We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Florence

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
train from Florence

Does anyone know the station stops on the train from Florence to Lucca? I would like to get off the train in some town before Lucca, but not so far away. I've looked on trenitalia.com and everywhere i can think of but they just give you the two towns (Florence and Lucca) but no additional info like a real timetable would.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Florence

We took the train to Lucca from Florence last year, and were amazed at the number of stops (14). I thought we would never get there! Some stops were: Montale Agliana, Pistoia, Serravalle Pistoiese, Montacatni Terme (we stayed in this town in the past (nice). Prescia, Monte Carlo a San Salvatore. These are some, but other than Montecatini, I have no other knowledge. The trip was so long that we took the bus back to Florence, Much faster trip.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Florence

From Florence to Lucca, train travel times are 1:23-2:35

to see the stops first select a train, (right side button) then click on the red "details by selection" then click on info, and you will see all the stops.

With a regional ticket you have 6 hours to complete your journey after it is validated. Make sure to validate your ticket in one of the small yellow boxes that are on the train platform. Sometimes the machines don't work and you you have to try more than one machine. Failure to do so will result in a fine.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Florence

It depends on the specific train. Some stop at more stations than others.

If you have an iphone there is a great app called iTreni. I think it cost around $2 to download. You can enter your departure and arrival stations, see all the times, and click on a specific train to see all the stops. Just remember to use the Italian city names (ie, florence = Firenze). I used it on my trip a few weeks back and it was very accurate.

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Florence

Thanks, thinking of doing some bicycling in the area and trying to pick the best home base, which may be Lucca itself...

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Florence

Thanks very much for the info. We are trying to figure out the best spot to use as a home base for 3-5 days of bicycling. And that may be Lucca itself.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
427 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Florence

There are basically two trains an hour, in relative terms one is quick- 1 hr 20mins and one slow- 1hr 40mins, the slow one stops at all the small stations and can take an eternity. As for stops on the way (which both trains make) Prato is probably too big and too close to Firenze (ie you just got on the train). So I would suggest Pistoia for a couple of hours, quite a compact historical centre and fairly close to the station or Montecatini Centro (not Terme which is literally 500m earlier on the route). Montecatini is a small smart spa town, not much to it except its a pleasant way to spend an hour or so and grab a coffee or lunch.

7. Re: train from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:18