We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Lucca this summer

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Lucca this summer

My girlfriend and I are InterRailing around Europe this July / August. We will be in Lucca for 3 days. We are trying to budget in how much it is going to cost to eat every day. Any ideas how much it will be? Any info on local supermarkets as well will be greatly appreciated!!

This is our first big trip away and we are starting to find it all very scary!

Thanks

Ben

United States
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

There is a small SIDIS grocery store in Piazza Carmine and numerous small shops selling "deli" type items and made to order sandwiches. There are several good pizza by the slice places. there are larger supermarkets outside the walls with more ready to eat choices. If you are there on Wednesday or Saturday mornings, there is a traveling market with a very good porchetta and cheese truck.

For restaurant meals without wine, I'd budget about €40-50 (for 2). You can eat for less but that will give you a base.

TAB

Edited: 05 July 2011, 21:33
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,611 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

You can probably find places serving lunches a bit cheaper than €40-50. For dinner, those are about the right prices though at decent places.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

Breakfasts in Lucca were quite inexpensive - a cappuccino and a cornetto or other pastry for around 3.50 euro. Try Bar Quadrofoglio, where even sitting at a table on the little piazza is not expensive.

There are little markets scattered around that sell good picnic supplies. Lunch at a restaurant can be less expensive than dinner, so think about those for lunch and then do some dinner picnics. A great lunch spot is Osteria Baralla just off P. Anfeteatro.

United States
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

Yes, Sammy, €40-50 was an estimate for dinner. I figured lunch would be on the "go" and gave the pizza and sandwich options for that. I eat my main meal at lunch so the reverse is true for me and pasta or a meat dish, salad or veg, and water/soda (more expensive than a glass of wine) can run around €20.

TAB

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
429 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

Remember at most cafes/bars stand at the bar, unless you are sure seating is free, there are a number of places it is. A coffee and pastry (dolce) at any bar in Lucca should not cost you more than €2.50 per person, if does you are being ripped off. TAB is right with pricing, Lucca it self is a bit touristy for menu de lavoro, the true locals lunch, but you might find it on your travels in smaller towns/road side cafes, if these are genuine, they will be between €10 and €15 per head for 2 courses, water and wine. The best example I know is up in the hills at in Barga at Trattoria da Riccardo www.trattoriadariccardo.it/eng/index.html

For supermarkets Sidis is the only one in the centre, you might find it cheaper at PAM, directions in the top questions section.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

Thanks for all your replies!

This has made our planning much easier, Lucca is a tad more expensive than we were expecting, but you have suggested some really nice sounding places. Looking forward to seeing it all for ourselves!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

Do you have a reasonably priced place to stay?

I stayed at the Hotel Piccolo Puccini this past June and really liked it. Small but nice rooms, small but new and efficient bathrooms. Friendly and helpful staff. All for 95 euro per night. Great location too. Just be sure to ask for a room at the front of the hotel as I think the back rooms are dark.

United States
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

If you are really on a budget, you might look at the Hostel. They have private rooms.

http://www.ostellolucca.it/pagine/e-home.htm

TAB

9. Re: Travelling to Lucca this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Lucca