We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lucca a good choice for us?

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
745 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lucca a good choice for us?

Hi

We (my husband and I - early 40s)are in the early stages of planning a visit in late September for a week and hoped to day trip to the Cinque Terre, Florence and Pisa. We can get flights to Pisa and originally thought of basing ourselves there but a lot of people seem to recommend Lucca.

Would Lucca be a better option than Pisa for us and is it centrally located for public transport to the areas we want to visit?

I noticed that the Ryanair flight to Pisa lands late (around 10.30pm) and it seems that public transport will not be running then. Would a taxi at approx 70euro be our only option for transferring to Lucca at this time?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 12 July 2011, 14:34
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lucca a good choice for us?

Lucca is definitely a more attractive base and you can easily get to the places you want to visit by train from Lucca. Why not stay the first night in Pisa, see the highlights of Pisa the next morning and then train on to Lucca for the rest of the week?

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lucca a good choice for us?

Shells, have a look at Montecatini, the Spa town has a very good website. I know it has not got the history or the atchitecture of Lucca but for a very salubrious place to stay in it can't be bettered. It is also on the main railway line and the taxi fare to Pisa airport was not excessive.

The main point is in the choice of hotels that it has, due to its great following with the health seeking Italians. On two 10 day holidays it was an excellent base for us doing just what you also wish to do.

Bob.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
427 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lucca a good choice for us?

Lucca is an excellent choice as your base and Peggypatch suggest is on the money, as no theres no easy way to get Lucca at that time of night. The choice of things to do at your leisure after your day trips in terms of different parts to walk or ride a bike, relax on the walls along with many different restaurants, bars and cafes to try is far greater than other towns nearby. Although Pisa can be underrated I think generally Lucca is easier for the visitor to enjoy.

4. Re: Is Lucca a good choice for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:19