We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Level Contributor
150 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

My twin sister and I are celebrating our 50th in Italy in September. We will start in Florence and plan to head to Lucca. Would love any advice on "not to be missed" spots, and best ways to reach these places by train. We will likely not have a car. We are also looking for suggestions on a great place to stay - doesn't have to be fancy but does need to have character/charm/personality!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Galesburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

.from Florence to Lucca is less than 2 hr. and cost around $10. Look int Hotel Ilaria for a great place to stay. Just gave a review yesterday and several others on TA give it good reviews It is wirhin the walls and shops and restaurants are within minutes. They furnish bikes to ride the huge Roman walls which is really cool or just walk around them. Anyway you cannot go wrong at the Ilaria I as well as others who have stayed there would stay there again. Ciao

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Twin- what a way to celebrate! (My mom had a twin brother and I have twin sisters [3 yrs older] and twin brothers [4 yrs older]! And I live in Arlington!

So, that is also the way I celebrated my 50th! (No twin, alas...just my adult daughter!)

I highly recommend the Hotel Casci in Florence. Talk about character and charm! It his housed on the 3rd floor of a building that was once part of a Medici palace! You'll love it! Great staff- will go out of their way to make you comfortable and happy. Family-owned and run. You can check out the reviews of it here on Tripadvisor. They consistently get 5 stars! (They will also make your museum reservations for you, dinner reservations, etc.)

Places not to be missed- of course I never return to Florence without seeing Michelangelo's "David" (Galleria del Accademia); Santa Croce (an incredible church where you can find the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Rossini, etc.); and the most beautiful spot in the world.. The Piazzale Michelangelo- at sunset. Don't miss it!!!

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
26,772 Reviews
Florence, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Hi,

You haven't said when in September you will be in Lucca, so here are a few events that take place in that month. " Murabilia-mura in Fiore" which is an horticultural show on the city walls dates 2/3/4 Sept. "Lucca di notte" a non competitive running race at night through the streets, within the city walls 11th Sept.

"Luminara di Santa Croce" is a devotional procession in which the Volto Santo or Holy Face, a wooden crucifix figure, is carried along the streets which are illuminated by thousands of small candles on the night of 13th Sept.

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
150 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Thank you so much for your nice reply!

One more question: did you fly DFW - Rome - Florence?

I'm trying to figure out the most direct route to Florence. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Whatever is cheapest. hahaha

I have flown into Venice and spent a few days there, then trained to Florence. It is about a 2-hour trip on the bullet train.

If you fly into Rome, it is about 90 minutes by bullet train to Florence. (After a 30-minute ride to the main Rome train station. So total, 2 hrs.)

If you get great airfare to Milan, you can train to Florence on the bullet train and that will take about 1 Hr and 45 minutes.

Here is the website for the Italian train system (Trenitalia): www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

You would be leaving Venice Mestre and heading to Firenze (Florence) Santa Maria Novella train station.

From Rome, you would fly in and catch the Leonardo Express train from Fiumicino airport to Rome Termini (train station). Once there, you would be catching a train to Firenze Santa Maria Novella.

So, look for best airfares. If it's cheaper to go "open jaw", book that. (So maybe fly into Rome and out of Venice. Or into Milan and out of Rome.)

You have a much better chance of getting direct flights to/from Rome. But I like to stop in NY on the way over, so I get a breather from such a long travel day. :)

You'll have a wonderful time. It is truly a magical place!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Leonardo Express
Leonardo Express
825 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

If your budget is a little less - in Lucca - than Ilaria-ish, look at Palazzo Alexander or - my favorite for 20 years - Hotel Puccini. Rooms at Puccini are on the first floor (one above ground level) and there's no lift, but I'm considerably older than you two will be and make it just fine. Puccini's location is just the best, rooms are simple, clean, charming. Hotel owner and staff are wonderful. It's a 14-room property and 'most like going home. While in Lucca, if you want a real birthday splurge, take a 10-min. taxi ride to Montuolo to Villa Bongi for a dinner that'll make your 50th truly memorable. (Or Sunday luncheon....make a reservation.)

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

If there are flights in and out of Pisa, that is the closest airport to Florence and Lucca. I'm able to fly direct from NY to Pisa which I'm doing in May on Delta. I've also stayed at the Hotel Casci in Florence and recommend it as well. I took my mom there 3 years ago. It's basic, but it's quite charming and has everything you need. The pricing there is also very reasonable and the location is very convenient. I believe my mom and I even walked from the train with our suitcases. (they had wheels of course!)

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
150 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

Thank you so much for the feedback! What month did you visit? Apparently September is still high season. We haven't made our flight arrangements yet so we might opt for early Oct.

New York
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

I went the end of May which is what I'm doing this year. I'm fortunate enough to be doing the flight on miles which I also did the last 2 times. I haven't seen anything cheaper from NY at that time of year than about $1500. for direct flights. It is realy expensive these days to fly.

10. Re: Twin Sisters Celebrating 50th Birthday in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lucca