We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
362 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Are there any suggestions for a day trip from Lucca? We have looked at Montecatini Terme and Barga which can be reached by train. Thank you for any help. Mary

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Florence!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Here are the bus schedules:

www.vaibus.it

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

If you decide to go to Barga, take the bus from Lucca as the train station is several miles from the town and connecting buses infrequent. Barga is a small, but lovely hilltown. Florence is easily reached by train and has much more to see and do. Either would be great, but very very different experiences.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Pisa is a great city, and not just for the Tower. Barga is interesting, but it"s pretty small.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

If you are going in the warmer months, Viareggio is fun. There's an active market in the morning, miles of beaches, a huge port full of fishing and pleasure craft, lots of Italian and foreign tourists to watch, many restaurants in every category. You can rent bikes and explore the miles of piney parks., or walk the lungomare forever and window shop.

UK
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

I would not sacrifice any of your limited time in Lucca (one and a half days) to travel outside the city. Please let us know if you've adjusted your itinerary to allow more time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

It depends on how long you are staying in total and what other destinations are on your itinerary.

Seattle
Level Contributor
362 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Thank you for all your suggestions. Joanna, we will spend our time in Lucca. We plan to rent bikes. We may take a organized bike tour or the surroundings. Thanks again.

Seattle
Level Contributor
362 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

After reading all the wonderful suggestions on TA. We are considering rearranging our precious time in Italy. We have 6 nights between three cities we really want to see. Lucca, Siena and Assisi. We will be coming from Cinque Terre and ending in Rome. Could you give us your opinion on where you would stay (and how long) and where you would day trip to (by train or bus). We currently have planned 2 nights in Lucca and 3 nights in Assisi and 2 nights in Orvieto. We are now thinking about a day trip to Orvieto from Rome which frees up another night. I wish we had more time. Thanks to everyone.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Lucca without a car?

Mary Seattle,

Rich from Port Townsend here. Sorry to join the discussion so late. My suggestion being, as you know, a small town guy, is to spend as much time as possible in Lucca. Read my posts for some of the marvelous things to do in this jewel of a city. Un Bomboniera, translated as a most precious small gift given to the bride and groom. There are so many wonderful things to do here from walking the walls, visiting the major churches, climbing the Torre Guinigi with the oak trees on the top and discovering the rich history of this ancient city. We went to Orvietto from Rome in 2000 and it was definitely worth a day, with a tour, but not more. You can stop on the way from Firenze to Roma but more than a day I would question. You can also get the early train from Termini station in Roma and you will be there, with the slow train, in 2 hours. We are going to Ravenna for a couple of days or I would offer to show you around. My wife and I live here for about 3 months in the late fall and winter. Too many great restaurants to even make a suggestion. We also do not have a car. Rent bikes from Bici Bizzaro in Piazza Santa Maria or Bici Poli. The best tourist office is in Piazza Verdi on the eastern edge of the walled city. Visit the Piazza Napoleone (or Piazza Grande for the Lucchese) to see the municipal remodeling done by the sister of Napoleone when she was the duchess of Lucca. Firenze is a big city and definitely worth many trips to the museums, especially the Bargello. It is not as crowded as the Uffici, costs much less and is not as crowded. Get there on the train or from the bus station in Lucca for about 10 Euros round trip/ person. Both methods leave you off at approx. the same place in Firenze. Enjoy. Remember!! don't trust the schedules in the train station for the track #, only the times and the trains leaving. Always use the reader board for the track number.

Bassman