We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

quebec
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

Everyone suggests the train from Pisa to Lucca, but it seems to me, we have to transfer to the train station from airport, then take the train, then take a taxi from train station to lucca inside walls. Whereas someone suggested that a bus although slower will get to the inside of the lucca walls direct. We will be staying on 118 Via Fillunga. What do most people do?

new york
Level Contributor
417 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

I am also intrested in this will be doing day trip from florence to pisa and florence on own with family in aug would like to know if bus is easier then train from pisa to lucca thanks

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

I always take the train just because I prefer to travel by train, but I have seen other people advise that it is easier to take the bus as it goes from the airport and drops you in the Piazzale Verdi, which is inside the walls. I'm sure I read a post recently about whereabouts in the airport you buy the tickets and where the bus goes from. Try doing a search for 'Pisa to Lucca' and see what you find.

quebec
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

any TA members who have had a bus experience and preferred it. It seems that all we hear is the train route? To me, it just SEEMS to make more sense, get on the bus and then walk to your apartment, once in Lucca, (instead of all these transfers with luggage and kids)...but I may be missing something.

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

I can certainly recommend the direct bus service between Pisa airport and Piazzale Verdi in Lucca. You get the bus just outside the arrivals hall of the airport (buy your tickets beforehand at the ticket kiosk within the arrivals hall). The fare is cheap at about 4€. From Piazzale Verdi you can probably walk to your hotel if it is within the city walls.

The same bus service can be used to visit the Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa from Lucca since the bus has a stop within view of the Torre Pendente.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

Further to ellonway's "take the bus" advice with which I heartily agree....as you exit the baggage claim/immigration hallway in the Pisa airport, turn right and proceed - not far - to the end of the room and you'll find the ticket window for the bus. After getting your ticket go out the first exit to which you'll come and head straight across the parking lot to the Lazzi bus stop. The ticket seller will tell you when the next bus leaves for Lucca. The Lazzi (big, comfortable motorcoaches) buses are blue and have luggage storage underneath for your big stuff so that you don't have to lug it onboard (as you must on the train). The bus ride is then a scenic, pleasant thirty-minute ride to Piazzale Verdi, which is indeed inside the walls.

It's not a long walk from there to 118 Via Fillungo, but may be a bit taxing with luggage. As you leave the bus, look to your right (behind the bus and across the intersection) and you'll see a taxi stand. A taxi ride to the hotel will be short and not expensive. If you can't see a taxi, proceed to the Visitor's Center - diagonally across the Piazzale Verdi - and request that the ladies there get you a taxi. Or, they'll give you a map and mark your route to walk if you're game.

england midlands
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

Could anyone tell me what time the latest buses to lucca are, my flight doesnt get in until 9.50pm and i dont know if this will be too late to catch a bus, any help would be much appreciated, email at squigalettta@hotmail.com

New Orleans
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

Did you find out about late night transport to Lucca? I'm getting into Pisa at midnight and am wondering if taxis are around that late, or a bus, for that matter. Thanks!

-Alicia, ahansen@loyno.edu

edinburgh
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

do you know where i can find out wht time the last bus is please. We arrive at 22.45 so I am assuming that they will have finished, but I might be wrong. Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

Although I'm a fan of train travel, in this case I might use the bus only because I think Via Filungo is closer to the bus station than the train station in Lucca. Travel light if you can because you'll still have a bit of a walk to your lodgings.

Boston Ma
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus or train from Pisa airport to Lucca (inside walls)?

We just got back from Italy and we stayed in Lucca, actually the train station is right next to the walled community. Very easy walk.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca