We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Lucca

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
68 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Lucca

Hello

I'm after some advice/help please.

My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a 1 week trip to Tuscany. I would like to have Lucca as our base for the week however I'm not sure if this is practical so would be gratetful for input. We will be using public transport for all of our trips.

These are my questions:-

1) Day trip from Lucca to Siena - is it better to go by train or bus and what is the cost?

2) Day trip from Lucca to San Gimignano - again, train or bus and what is the cost?

3) Day trip from Lucca to Florence - as above

4) Day trip from Lucca to Barga - as above

We'd like to have 4 busy days and the other 3 days just wandering around Lucca and generally having a very relxed time.

I am looking into the L'Antica Bifore B&B - has anyone stayed here and if so, what's your thoughts on the B&B?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Lucca

You can easily visit Barga by bus and Florence by train. I'm not sure day trips to San Gimignano and Siena are really practical are you will need to change trains twice (then catch a bus in San Gimignano's case) and both journeys will take over 2 hours each way.

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Lucca

Vaibus no Q05 for Lucca to Barga. Here's the current timetable up to 30th June 2013:

www.vaibus.com/pdf/Extraurbano4feb13.pdf

mesh

Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Lucca

We have been in Lucca for six weeks and have visited many places in Toscana and Liguria

You can take buses easily from Lucca to Florence and Pisa (see Vaibus post above) Trains are easy too.

Siena, Volterra and San Gimignano are best via rental car for the day - Europcar is located just outside the Lucca wall at Porta Elisa ... local rentals are less expensive than internet reservations. All three can be reached the fastest by going via Firenze on the Autostrada. If you go to Pienza or Montepulciano it is fastest to drive (2+ hours) via Firenze to Sinalunga via the Autostrada. I drove ONCE from Lucca to Volterra using 429/439 and it took almost 3 hours each way!

My favorite drive in Toscana - Siena-Asciano-Abbey at Monte Oliveto

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
68 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Lucca

Hi again

I'm wondering whether I would be best to do this instead:-

Fly into Pisa and then travel to Florence and have this as our base for 4 nights. From Florence, can we then visit Siena and Sam Gimigano more easily? If so, is bus or train better and what is the approximate cost?.

Then on Day 5 take the bus from Florence to Lucca and have 3 nights in Lucca - a couple of days relaxing and a day trip to Barga.

Does this seem more sensible?

We will not be driving, everywhere we visit will have to be via public transport.

Once again, any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Lucca

Sounds ok, transport from Pisa airport to Firenze, Train www.trenitalia.com Bus www.terravision.eu

Bus Florence to Siena and San Gimignano www.busfox.com/timetable

www.discovertuscany.com

www.aboutpisa.info

www.lucca.ca

www.italia.it/en/home/html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Lucca

Yes sounds better. Bus is best from Florence to Siena, train or bus from Florence to Poggibonsi then bus up to San Gimignano.

Leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Lucca

Hi. We are planning to do this very trip next year so will look out for a post when you return. Last time we stayed in Lucca we went to Barga on the train. Were a little puzzled when we got off in station until we realised that we then had to get bus to Barga. Lovely church and nice little town. Love Lucca.

8. Re: Day trips from Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Lucca