We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car travel from lucca to barcelona

Saratoga, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Car travel from lucca to barcelona

I'll be starting in lucca and want to drive along the southern coast of France with final destination in barcelona. What rental car company would you suggest, cost? Where to stop overnight along the way, hotels? I'll have about 3-4 days to drive and 3 days in barcelona. There are 2 families traveling together so we'll need 2 cars that can fit 4 people each.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car travel from lucca to barcelona

You need to go the rounds with the rental companies available in Lucca and the surrounding area.

One-way rentals with returns in another country will (if at all possible) result in an extremely hefty one-way surcharge, much more than the car rental itself.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car travel from lucca to barcelona

Quite apart from anything else, you are the only one who knows exactly when you want to do this (time of year, day of the week), and which model of car you would select from those available (which might be different from different rental companies), which is going to affect the cost. Nobody is going to have in their head the range of costs for all different eventualities, and even if they wanted to, they don't have the information necessary to do the research in your place. So I suggest you look at a number of websites yourself e.g.

- http://www.rentalcars.com/CityLandingPage.do;jsessionid=02FDB5C05A12244E76B7016AC280C48B.node155a

- avisautonoleggio.it/Autonoleggio/Europa/Ital…

- europcar.it/noleggio-auto-ITALIA-LUCCA.html

- http://www.sixt.it/it/noleggio-auto/

- www.hertz.it

- www.tuscanyonboard.it

As for where to stop along the way, if just looking at a map doesn't help, I suggest you go to www.viamichelin.com, put in Lucca as departure point and Barcelona as arrival point, look at the route it gives you, and based on how many hours you want to drive at a time, work out from that where you might want to stop along the route. If you don't know anything about likely places (e.g. Nice, Perpignan), you can always google for information on them.

At any rate, the forum for Lucca isn't the appropriate place to ask for hotel recommendations in France and Spain! But in any case, it doesn't seem to me to make much sense asking for hotel recommendations before you have even decided where you want to stop. Once you have decided, you can go to the TA forum for each city, e.g. Nice, and look along the green line at the top of the page. As this is the forum for Lucca, at the top of THIS page, you will see Home - Lucca - Hotels, and if you click on Lucca, in addition to hotels (again) you will find "things to do" - so if you want to check on highest rated hotels and what there is to see/do in any places you are considering stopping at, that is where to find it in the forum concerned.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Marina di...
Level Contributor
740 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car travel from lucca to barcelona

Hi! Your travel seems to me very tiring and heavy and without much sense: you would pass nearly all the time driving and won't have the time for visiting any place.

I suggest you decide before if you want to visit Tuscany (Lucca, Pisa, Florence...) or South of France (Nice, Provence, Marseille...), arriving there by plane. Spend your 3-4 days visiting the region and then take the plane to Barcelona (from Pisa there are low cost flights by Ryanair).

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Saratoga, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car travel from lucca to barcelona

Have found auto Europe allows pick in one country drop off in another with reasonable rates.

5. Re: Car travel from lucca to barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Lucca
Recent Conversations