We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greve or Lucca

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Greve or Lucca

I'm looking to do a day trip from Florence and looking for ideas. Any opinion on which is more charming..l greve or Lucca or some other option. Looking for the small town experience, going in July. Grazi!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greve or Lucca

I am totally biased towards Lucca but it is an enchanting place and I am sure you will enjoy it very much. There are numerous things to do , many restaurants,shopping , culture or just people watching. This website has many photographs and recommendations.The best way to see it is on foot and the walls are continuous and allow you to see the most interesting sights.

Greve is a small town but it has a lovely main piazza and some of the best food and wines in the chianti area.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greve or Lucca

It's easier to get to Lucca from Florence (www.trenitalia.com) than it is from Florence to Greve (unless, of course, you have a car).

Both are beautiful, marvelous places. Much more pesky culture in Lucca than in Greve ... but less opportunities to sample the local juice in situ.

Sorry to have clouded your question. In short, if you have a car: perhaps Greve. If you don't, absolutely Lucca.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greve or Lucca

I could be wrong - and if I am I hope someone tells me. My research says that F to G is an hour by bus, but F to S is 1hr 20m by train. So while both are fairly easy trips, getting to Greve is more so. Yes???

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greve or Lucca

I don't know how I put an "S" in there. It's supposed to be an "L". F to Lucca is 1hr20m by train, while F to Greve is an hour by bus....

5. Re: Greve or Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 21:08
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,784 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greve or Lucca

Lucca - no question! Greve's a perfectly nice place, it has a very pretty main square, some good restaurants, some great places to wine taste and it's surrounded by stunningly lovely countryside but as Jaybee says, it's just a small town whereas Lucca is altogether something else, quite incomparable. Go there instead.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greve or Lucca

Have to agree, there is not really enough in Greve to warrant a full day trip. Lucca will easily fill a full day and you will be sorry to get on that train back to Florence.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
190 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greve or Lucca

Lucca is a very nice town, but I would personally suggest to rent a car and visit Chianti, its middle age hamlets, its fascinating views and, least but not last, its fantastic food and wine.

It's a nice day trip from Florence (just take the "wine route #222) and visit Greve in Chianti (and its winery!), Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, etc.

If you would like some more info, have a look at my travel blog www.delightfullyitaly.com, I was in Chianti a couple of weeks ago, and I posted quite a lot of info.

Enjoy!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greve or Lucca

Greve's a nice place and good for 30 minutes during a car tour of Chianti, but it's not really going to provide the "small town experience" I suspect you're looking for - it's too "busy". For that you need to go to a really small town, stay there, and get to know people a bit. Lucca on the other hand is a great one day excursion. Read your guide book beforehand - it's packed with things to see and has a great ambiance.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greve or Lucca

We have been in Greve, briefly, three times. I my opinion it is a tourist trap and little more in the center of town, which is presumably what you will see on a short visit.

I would strongly endorse Lucca, by train or bus.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca