We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
95 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Hi again

We have preloaded a Mastercard to take with us on our trip to Lucca - a great idea to avoid carrying cash around (I thought).

Now I am starting to look around for places to eat and lots of the places that I like the look of are small "Osteria" or smallish local wine-bar/restaurants - I'm now wondering how restricted we will be in terms of choice of places to eat in the evenings if we want to use our card (which was the plan).

If anyone can help with a guide on whether we need to rethink our plans - is it only the larger restaurants who will accept cards, or is it the norm for smaller places too?

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

If you have a Mastercard loaded with euros, you can use it to get euros from ATMs and pay cash at any restaurant.

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

One place I know of that takes only cash is Trattoria Da Leo: http://www.trattoriadaleo.it

mesh

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
95 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Thanks yes this (@syndeynick) is the alternative but obviously we don't really want to pay the associated fee and/or carry about lots of Euros. Still, if that's what we need to do then we will have to. Just wondered if I could get any info before we leave. Thanks for replying guys.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 12:12
Colle di Val...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Hi usually every restaurant or "osteria" accept credit cards here in Italy, I don't know about MasterCard since i have only Visa but when i go out to eat usually pay by credit card even in the smallest places.

ps.

Of course I live in Italy i forgot to say that :)

Saverio

www.vacavilla.com

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
95 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Much appreciated thank you :)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

We shopped around and found a Visa that does not charge any fees domestic or international. The best way to get $ in our experience is to carry a debit card with a limited balance in case it is stolen, and then use it to get cash from an ATM.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Do stash enough Euros in your sock to have one meal at the infamous (for taking only cash) da Leo....it's just a rollicking experience you don't want to miss.

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Please do take SavannahMame's advice and visit Da Leo's. Also try Ristorante da Francesco where they do accept payment by card: http://www.ristorantedafrancesco.lucca.it/

mesh

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
95 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Great replies, thanks

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Credit Cards in Lucca (for dining)

Have a great time in Lucca, if you are there on Friday 13th September 2013 when the Luminara di Santa Croce takes place I'd suggest you book an evening meal in advance.

mesh

Get answers to your questions about Lucca