We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pancakes

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
266 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Pancakes

Is this anywhere in Lucca where I can buy American style pancake mix and syrup?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pancakes

You could try looking in a supermarket, but I think it is very unlikely. How many Italians want to buy American pancake mix?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pancakes

I don't believe I've seen them although this www.unamericanaincucina.com/en/ingredients/ suggests that that Esselunga may be a possibility, and there is one in Lucca (www.esselunga.it/default.aspx…). However, you can certainly buy eggs, butter, milk, flour etc. from supermarkets and if they don't have something like maple syrup, you can get honey and sometimes sauces intended for ice-creams.

Assuming that you will be staying in Italy for some time, you may be interested in online purchase, in which case, to avoid customs issues, you should use a company based in the EU, e.g. www.britishcornershop.co.uk

Turin
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pancakes

Sadly I have an addiction to pancakes, so on saturdays I cook 'em from scratch: eggs, flour, baking powder etc. etc. Here in Turin Coop Supermarkets sell both maple syrup and mix. They keep it near all the stuff for lazy bakers (joking), while maple syrup is usually in the ethnic/picturesque food area or on the same shelf where they keep honey. It's really expensive!

Maybe you could go to the Coop in Lucca? It is in Viale Giacomo Puccini nr. 1718/B

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pancakes

Though not in Lucca there is Richmond's British Food Shop in Viareggio that stocks Betty Crocker Bisquick Baking Mix and Buckwud Pure Canadian Maple Syrup:

http://www.richmonds.it/info/about-us.html

mesh

Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
266 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pancakes

A lot, actually. We have had Italian friends visit us in American and when they went back home they packed large packages of pancake mix and maple syrup. And, the owner of the B&B we are staying at in Lucca asked me to teach her to make pancakes.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pancakes

Just my opinion, but if a B&B owner outside Italy had asked an Italian guest to teach them how to make minestrone, I think they would be stunned if the Italian turned up with a packet soup-mix!

Edited: 29 December 2013, 17:12
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,762 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pancakes

Very easy to make without a mix; just google a recipe, pick up the ingredients and off you go. I have rarely used a mix since it is so easy to make without a mix. Just googled for quick one - www.food.com/recipe/basic-pancake-mix-48635

There are others, of course.

Have fun! I'd go with scratch - much better.

8. Re: Pancakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18