We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

Calgary
Level Contributor
774 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

I am planning to stay in Tuscany for a week this July with my family of 5. This will be one week out of a month spent in Italy.

I'd like to rent an apartment/villa somewhere near a smaller town or in rural Tuscany and use it as a base to see various places. I also plan to stay in Florence for 4 or 5 days after staying in rural Tuscany to see the city sights.

Possible day trips in Tuscany might include (in order of what i want to see)

- San Gimignana

- Siena

- Volterra

- Any other suggested interesting places that might appeal to children

- Pisa?

- Lucca?

1. Where would be a good area to concentrate my search for accommodation? There are literally thousands of holiday rentals to choose from.

2. Would it be better to do day trips to Pisa & Lucca out of Florence by train and stick to the smaller centers during the week in Tuscany?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

This might help you prune the options a bit: chiantitravelguide.com/best-place-to-stay-as…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
802 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

I admit to having some confusion about why you want to stay in rural Tuscany. If you stay there you will probably need to rent a car to get around even if it's only to buy a loaf of bread. The places you consider visiting are all cities where having a car will prove to be more of a disadvantage than an advantage. Sure, if you really wanted to visit Monteriggioni or the Chianti region, or Montepulciano you would probably need a car.

3. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 12:29
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

This may help with some of the factors you need to consider:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c128287/Tusca…

Pisa and Lucca are both good choices for children, climb the leaning tower (book this online 2 weeks in advance), hire bikes in Lucca, cycle the walls and have a picnic. However, both can be easily done in one day trip by train from Florence and this would save you a potentially long drive and give you more time to see other Tuscan towns and villages during the rural leg of your trip.

Somewhere north of Siena, would seem like a good base for you to visit San Gim, Siena and Volterra. The children would probably enjoy Monteriggioni too and other nearby towns worth visiting are the upper town of Colle di Val d'Elsa, Castellina and Radda in Chianti. There is plenty of interest in the area to keep you busy for a week.

Calgary
Level Contributor
774 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

Thanks for the tips Tuscan and Peggypatch.

I will save Pisa and Lucca for day trips by train from Florence.

Yes, BackpackerNoMore62, I will have a car during the stay in Tuscany. Unless you're on a bus tour then I think a car would be a necessity to see the hill towns and villages. But I'll return it when I return to Florence.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

Having a car is a distinct advantage in Tuscany. I have no idea why someone would say otherwise. Public transportation in Tuscany is geared to getting Italian citizens to and from work and school. It's not set up for touristic travel.

Staying in rural Tuscany is glorious. Once again, I have no idea why anyone would be "confused" about it or would recommend against it.

Staying at an agriturismo is a great way to enjoy rural Tuscany. This one has a great pool for your kids and is very centrally located.

http://www.foresteria.it/

7. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 16:05
8. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 16:35
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

I think Lucca is a better base than Florence, if you want to experience more local living. Florence I found to be big, crowded and gritty. I stayed in Lucca for over a week and used it as a base to explore the coast and to visit Florence. There are many great sights in Florence and would recommend a visit. However, I always breathed a sigh of relief as I traveled home on the train to Lucca, which felt very homey. Wandering around its small, untrafficked alley ways in search of food, shopping or just looking was a wonderful experience. Florence in October was very crowded. I can only imagine with terror how busy it would be in July.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing a home base for a week in Tuscany

I think Lucca is a better base than Florence, if you want to experience more local living. Florence I found to be big, crowded and gritty. I stayed in Lucca for over a week and used it as a base to explore the coast and to visit Florence. There are many great sights in Florence and would recommend a visit. However, I always breathed a sigh of relief as I traveled home on the train to Lucca, which felt very homey. Wandering around its small, untrafficked alley ways in search of food, shopping or just looking was a wonderful experience. Florence in October was very crowded. I can only imagine with terror how busy it would be in July.