We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Milan to Lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Milan to Lucca

I am tearing my hair out trying to book a train from Milan to Lucca for May 5th 2014.

Both trenitalia and railitaly.com show scheduled departures for the Milan to Florence leg but show no departures available from Florence to Lucca.

I know the Florence to Lucca leg is on a regional train but am under the impression that these departures should be published by now as it is less than 90 days to the booking date.

I would be very grateful if someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

You answered it yourself! It's a regional train. It can't be booked more than 7 days in advance. It's exactly the same price if you book online or turn up and buy it at the station on the day. Tickets can't sell out.

By all means get the Milan to Florence leg sorted: they are cheaper bought 120 days in advance. But leave the regional leg until you get off the train in Florence. And don't forger to validate the Florence -> Lucca ticket.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

Thank you westendgaz very much for setting me straight. I'll book Milan to Florence now and take your advice for the regional train.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

I am still having problems making a booking on Trenitalia for Milan to Florence.

The website asks me to register with a contact name and password in order to be able to purchase tickets but the form provided insists on an address in Italy to which they want to mail a card.

We dont have an address in Italy and I cant find anywhere on the website that enables me to book a ticket without registering. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has the solution to this little problem?

Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

Good morning,

for the train Milan -florence freccia rossa you have to take the train to Rome o naples and stop in Florence and olso you have to book the place . For Florence - Lucca it's a regional, so you cant book the place , the only thing that you can do it's to buy the ticket on line but not now, but some days before.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

Thanks Benedetta. I have had a reply explaining how to get to Lucca by train.

My problem now is how to make the booking online with trenitalia. The website seems to insist on registering and obtaining a password in order to purchase tickets. The online form requests an Italian residential address but we live in Australia.

I know lots of internationals do make trenitalia bookings online and need to know how they get round this problem.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

OK Scrubwren, taken from another thread in TA's train travel forum:

"Okay - you don't need to register.

I've just tried to do a dummy booking.

Select the train and date that you have done already.

Fill in the passenger details as normal.

Below that where it says "CONTACT BUYER - required" check the box that says "Non Sono registrato"

Scroll over to the right and it will ask you to enter your name, email address and contact phone number.

Then scroll down, select payment method: "Credit card"

Click on "Continue"

Then it takes yo to the next page where yo enter your credit card details....

Hey presto. ;-0)"

Hope this helps a bit. We bought just about all our trenitalia tickets from Aus as they became available, and never had a problem. But if you continue to have issues you can try www.italiarail.com as an alternative. They're about the same price as trenitalia, but with a $5 booking fee. But if you eMail tripadvisor@italiarail.com with your order ID, the $5 will be refunded to you.

And thanks to TA member matt_1376 who initially posted the information above that I grabbed.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,752 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

If you aren't seeing the Lucca trains, `i suspect you are using the website in italian, in which case you need to click the grey 'tutti i trenit' button'. If you click the UK flag for English, a search from Milano Centrale or Firenze S. M. Novella to Lucca shows Lucca trains automatically.

But you can only buy regional trains with reserved seats without registration - e;g to Milano to Firenze (or Viareggio), not the connecting trains to Lucca. Buy regional tickets in Milan from a Regional or Self-Service ticket machine to avoid queues, and validate (time/date-stamp) before boarding.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

You are a gem westendgaz! Thanks for your very clear step by step description. I am about to try it out now and fingers crossed.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

Thanks perilizia, westendgaz and matt_1376 for your help. Problems solved, I am now making bookings like a pro.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains from Milan to Lucca

Great to hear Scrubwren. Enjoy your trip.