We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia Md.
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
lucca

my wife and I are visiting lucca for the first time staying 3 nites within

the walled city . Any suggestions/recommendations to make this lovely city memorable.?

attractions restaurants etc

We do not have a car but hope to find someone to give us a tour of

the countryside one afternoon..

look forward to suggestions

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lucca

I spent a week there last fall, absolutely lovely city. You'll have a short time, so your guidebook (with map) will give you some ideas of what interests you, also look above to the tab for Things to Do. Plan your visit carefully, there's so much to experience :-))

My avatar is Torre delle Guinigi, I took the picture from the Clock Tower a few blocks away, Lucca is quite walkable.

I contacted Andrea of www.tuscanyexperiencetours.com , he was recommended by another highly recommended 'private driver with a car' that was booked for my time there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lucca

It is a delightful town. Plan to walk the walls once or twice, bicycle if possible. You can rent bikes at several spots around town. In my experience, Lucca is a great dining town. I have spent about two weeks in total there and never hit a bad restaurant yet. There are three nice museums in town, but you should check on locations before you get there. The streets can seem a bit of a maze. And we have enjoyed the opera recitals at San Giovanni. It is an excellent town for shopping, and rewarding to climb the Guinigi Tower.

For me, the great thing about Lucca is that it is a real town full of real people going about their daily lives without an overwhelming emphasis on tourists. We like it, I hope you will. Oh, yes, also look at the Botanical gardens, South-East corner within the walls, very relaxing, not elegant, but very relaxing.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lucca

Tau Touring is based in Lucca. Will supply a car and driver (all we've used were wonderful, English adequate, knowledge of the area splendid) to take you a tour of the countryside. You determine the length, tell them what you'd like to see and they custom-design a tour.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lucca

Also, this: i am sure that the hosts at your accommodations could easily arrange a reliable, English speaking guide for a day in the country, email them and ask.

5. Re: lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:16