We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

Hi

What's the most economical and best way to get from Rome to Lucca and around in Italy?

Is it cheaper to buy my public transport tickets before I arrive?

Whats the best SIM card to buy so I can call overseas and where do I buy one? It's for an iPhone.

Should I convert cash before I leave or do most places accept credit card?

Where can I get maps of Italy before I get there?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

1. The bestt way of travelling between cities is by train. See www.trenitalia.com and www.italotreno.it

2. For the fast trains between cities, you get the best priice by booking soon after tickets go on sale, 4 months before travel.

3. I know nothing aboout SIMs.

4. Many places wiill accept credit cards, but you will also need cash. To get cash, use a debit card at ATMs,

5. Bookhops sell maps.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 06:06
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

While I generally am in complete concord with the splendid advice given by Sydneynick (and thank you Sydneynick for all your help), I'd like to offer a slightly varied perspective on travel between cities. Do a little research. There are times that you'll find bus travel a practical and pleasant alternative. There are certain dandy cities and towns where the train stops a considerable distance from the historic center (and what you'd be most interested in seeing), but the bus will take you right into the center. In Lucca, for example, the bus station is inside the walls - not that the train station is much of a hike. Some of the towns in the Garfagnana are a hike-and-a-half from the train station to the good stuff, however.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

The problem is that there are almost no bus services between the major cities. You cannot travel by bus from Rome to Florence, or Florence to Venice, for example.

4. Re: Italy & Rome to Lucca by public transport, cash and SIM card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Lucca