We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

Totnes, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

Can someone tell me where's the nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

I'm going to use public transport and looking for something not so far from city center because

I don't want to spend to much time in the bus ;-)

Thank you.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

Have you ever visited Versilia (Viareggio, Lido Di Camaiore..)? If not, I highly suggest the 30 min train ride into these beach towns. The beaches are beautiful and clean and the towns are also beautiful and quite historic. Also, they are still in the province of Lucca, so you aren't far at all!

Totnes, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

Thank you for the answer, I never was in Italy and this is why I'm asking...

Do you know how much this will cost ? ;-) Train ticket and beach fee ?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

I am wondering the same thing. I have been to Viareggio a few times before and there is an amazing sunset from there and with the mountins as a backdrop its stunning in th eveing, but the beach is a bit crowded and bland in the daytime. Is there other beaches that would be quite and relaxing with nice sand close by? Also reachable by public transport.

I have been to the cinque terre but its a bit to far from Lucca, Viareggio is only about 25minutes on the train and like most trains in Italy fairly cheap. I dont mind travelling a bit longer for a nice beach to spend the day on.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

If you look on www.trenitalia.com or www.virail.com, you will be able to find a train to anywhere in Italy! It looks like from Lucca to Viareggio average cost is 4 euro. From the station in Viareggio, you can walk to the beach. If you go to a beach establishment, you will need to pay to rent an umbrella and chairs, but there is also a free beach. I would suggest renting, it is so much more convenient as you will have a bathroom, shower, food, cabin for your belongings, etc. It is about 20 euros, but so worth it.

I disagree that Viareggio is bland, but you are probably looking for a beach with crystal clear water. In that case, depending on how far you are willing to travel, I would suggest the beaches in Grosseto (The Maremma). They are truly beautiful beaches and I am positive that is what you are looking for! These wonderful places also boast tons of history including Etruscan ruins and breathtaking castles and towers. The ride to the Maremma will be 3 hours..I know a bit long, but it is so worth it and if you leave at 6 or 7am, you can arrive early and sleep on the beach! Some great ones would be: Castiglione della Pescaia, Punta Ala beaches, Cala Violina, La Feniglia, Cala di Forno, Follonica, Il Pozzarello, Piombino Beaches, Orbetello Beaches, and Talamone beaches. Check out this guide for the full list: www.maremmaguide.com/tuscany-beaches.html

Let me know where you go! I will be there this winter and next summer to get my heart back!

5. Re: The nearest Swimming Pool or Beach from Lucca.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lucca