We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

Hello!

I have been up all night trying to find a cheap place in Pisa.

We arrive late in the evening at the airport (23:00).

We are just passing through to catch a train to Piombino and off to the Island of Elba for a week of camping.

The problem is nothing seems to be worth paying so much money for just 4 hours...

I would have gratefully just waited it out outside the station until the trains started running again, but we have our 1 year old daughter with us, and I don't think she will be very happy about that.

I am also pregnant with our second child so I don't fancy having to go too far.

Is there anywhere "safe" to pitch a tent for couple hours until we head off to the train station?

This has sadly seems to have become our only option as we on a very tight budget and anything over 25 € would really be pushing it.

Thank you for reading!!

Young mummy from London

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,733 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$101.00*
Pisa Half-Day with Skip-the-Line...
658 reviews
from US$82.10*
7-Day Taste of Europe Tour from...
34 reviews
from US$689.60*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

You can't legally pitch a tent anywhere in central Pisa. There may be a campsite somewhere in or near Pisa where the police tolerate tents put up by homeless illegal aliens, but it would not be an environment into which I would take a one-year-old.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

Oh no! I wasn't thinking putting our tent anywhere like that!

Problem is I haven't seen any campsites around Pisa just for tents.. and I doubt they will let us in that late...

Are there no open parks or anything like that? Around the airport?

Otherwise can you think of any cheap places to stay? We really don't need any to be honest, just a room to wait out till the first train leaves.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

This campsite says it's not far from the Tower:

campingtoscana.it/camping-bungalow/…

The Italian Web site says the reception is open until midnight.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

We have stayed at this campsite a few times before and would recommend it. I am not sure if you say you won't be there for long if they will give you a discount?

Good luck!

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

Thank you for comments!

I have found a cheap privately owned hostel a short walking distance from the airport! I have booked it already the owner seems really lovely too!

I'm very glad to have found this as we would have had to get a taxi otherwise to get somewhere, which would have added even more costs.. :(

But this seems perfect!

I really wasn't too keen in setting up camp in the dark with a baby to be honest :(.

x

6. Re: Place to pitch a tent for 4 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:22