We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Biloela
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

I am flying in to Pisa in Oct on a saturday afternoon. I need to be in Florence by Monday evening. Obviously want to see the Leaning Tower before leaving Pisa but from what I read there isn't much else to see. Any other suggestions in the area as I understand the train trip from Pisa is less than 2 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,160 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

At the Campo dei Miracola, as well as the medieval building problem, there is an outstanding cathedral, a separate baptistry, and an ancient cemetery. On the river bank, about midway between Campo dei Miracoli and the train station, is the stunning little church of Santa Maria della Spina.

I think you need a better guide book on Pisa: the one you have been reading misses out a number of things.

Lucca is a fascinating city that is between Pisa and Florence.

Edited: 10 July 2010, 08:10
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

Yes, that is a good idea, you could leave your bags at the left luggage facility at Pisa Centrale, take a walk through Pisa, see the Campo dei Miracoli, then catch the train on to Lucca and spend two nights there. It is a wonderful little city, with plenty to see.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

And, in addition to all else recommending it, Lucca is a wonderful, safe and utterly appealing city for a lone traveler. I am always treated extremely well at the Hotel Puccini - and it is centrally located and I don't feel the least un-comfortable walking back to the hotel late at night. If you do spend a night or two in Lucca, try to go to one of the Puccini concerts. You'll have no trouble walking up and getting a ticket (20 Euros), they last about 1-1/2 hours - including a ten-min interval - and the young performers are grand.

4. Re: Pisa to Florence - travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 06:17