We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa airport train station ticket machines

York, United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Topic
Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Last year when travelling toTuscany via Pisa Airport we found the train station ticket machine was not working and had to join horrendous queues at the ticket office in the arrivals hall. We shall be repeating the journey next Saturday (21st May) and wondered if the ticket machine will be working this year as we may be a bit tight on time for our train. Any recent experiences?

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Last time I was at the airport it was working.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Yes, it was working a couple of weeks ago.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,988 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

And if it is not working and there are horrendous queues, take a bus to la Spezia Centrale station. That is anyway a faster route if you have to wait for a train.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Pisa centrale surely?

York, United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Many thanks to each of you. This was my first experience of posting a query on Tripadvisor and I was amazed at how quickly and how helpfully my query was answered.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,988 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

Yes, Pisa Centrale. Thanks Peggypatch!

Northern Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

There are at least six machines (including 2 speedy tix machines on the sides as you head out to the bins), and most are working at any given time so I think you'll be fine.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

I've never used the machines to buy tickets. Can you give me more details of where they are?. Are they actually in the arrivals bit of the airport or are they over at the train departures at the airport station.? Do they take coins or notes ? Do they give change ? Is there instructions in English ? Is it just regional train tickets you can purchase or can you purchase tickets to take you further away say perhaps Rome or Venice ?

Many thanks, Nicola

Northern Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

The Pisa Centrale station (not the tiny train area at the airport) is actually a fairly small train station and very easy to navigate. There are probably about 4 regular ticket machines right there in the main area of the station. Those machines can be used to purchase any tickets (regional, IC, Eurostar, etc.) and there is an English option first thing. I almost always use a credit card with those machines, but they also take paper money and coins and do give change. Although I have had once or twice when I put in a larger bill and the machine didn't have enough change, and it spit out a credit receipt that I could use for a future ticket; I just had to go to the actual window and speak with a train official to use it. So I no long put in bills much larger than my fee.

Then if the lines are extremely long at the window and machines, there are a couple of speedy machines on each side of the station as you go out to the bins. Those can also be done in English, but only take bills/coins and are only good for regionals. If you're just catching a train to Florence, for example, it's very quick and easy.

Northern Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pisa airport train station ticket machines

The Pisa Centrale station (not the tiny train area at the airport) is actually a fairly small train station and very easy to navigate. There are probably about 4 regular ticket machines right there in the main area of the station. Those machines can be used to purchase any tickets (regional, IC, Eurostar, etc.) and there is an English option first thing. I almost always use a credit card with those machines, but they also take paper money and coins and do give change. Although I have had once or twice when I put in a larger bill and the machine didn't have enough change, and it spit out a credit receipt that I could use for a future ticket; I just had to go to the actual window and speak with a train official to use it. So I no long put in bills much larger than my fee.

Then if the lines are extremely long at the window and machines, there are a couple of speedy machines on each side of the station as you go out to the bins. Those can also be done in English, but only take bills/coins and are only good for regionals. If you're just catching a train to Florence, for example, it's very quick and easy.