We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around in Pisa

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around in Pisa

Hi-- we will be taking the train into Pisa C. from Firenze. Not sure how far the walking distances are from the train station to the Duomo Pisa & the Pisa centre of town. Is it doable?

Also, we'd like to have lunch or dinner at the marina on the coast. Are taxis readily available at all points--the Pisa C. station, the centre of town, and the marina?

We don't mind walking but not TOO much!

Thanks in advance!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

The Campo dei Miracoli is a pleasant 20 minute walk from the station, so that is very doable. There are plenty of taxis at the station at Pisa if you would rather not walk. The Marina di Pisa is 10 km from the city of Pisa and is really not worth the bother of travelling to for lunch, in my opinion. Using the restaurant reviews section to choose a nice place in the city would seem like a better use of your time to me.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

The center of Pisa is small and you can walk everywhere very easily.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

Hi jmn123 -

You don't say when you are coming, but we imagine it's sooner rather than later. IF you hit Pisa on a glorious, sunny day in September or October, we would highly recommend making the journey to Marina di Pisa and eating at l'Arsella (via Padre Agostino da Montefeltro, 050/36615). The food's not worth a journey all by itself -- though it is very good indeed -- but the fact that you're sitting with views of a sparkling sea make it well worth the trip. Their fritto misto (mixed fish fry) is terrific, as is their take on the local Livornese specialty (a fish stew called cacciucco).

We've been going there for ages. It's family-run, the staff's been around for longer than we have ... and when the sun is shining ...

If the sun isn't, do follow advice to eat well (which is very easy to do) in Pisa. We love Osteria dei Cavalieri, La Sosta (just down the street, same management with very similar menus) and Faggiola.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

Hi,

I'm planning to do a half day trip from Florence to Pisa using the railway.

I just checked the trenitalia homepage and it appears that the Florence to PIsa route is non-bookable online.

I guess I can only buy my tickets in Florence when I'm there on 25th October 2011.

How much does it cost for the train ticket to Pisa?

Do I need to validate the Pisa ticket prior to boarding the train? If so, where can we find the validating machine.

I've read of unpleasant encounters of travellers who have not validated their tickets prior to boarding their trains & would like to prevent it from happening.

Thank you.

Regards,

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

The train ticket is 5,90 euros each way.

You need to validate the ticket before getting on the train, and validating machines are throughout the station (orange or yellow).

This is valid for any train ride. As to buses you validate the ticket on the bus, but you need to buy it before getting on the bus.

No need to book ahead.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,160 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

The trains from Florence to Pisa are local (Regionale) trains. It is absolutely pointless trying to buy these tickets online. There are no seat reservations, and tickets cannot sell out. The tickets cost €5.90 each way. Buy them in Florence.

Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the tickets in a yellow machine near the entry to the platforms at the station. The ticket is then valid for travel for the next 6 hours.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

Hi there! The great thing about Pisa is that all the locals know exactly why people have come. The main road leads directly to it and it is only a matter of following street signs!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

Thanks guys for clearing my doubts.

This was most helpful.

Cheers :)

9. Re: Getting Around in Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 11:16