We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PISA airport !

Bollington - England
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
PISA airport !

I know we can write our thoughts about hotels, but can we also comment on airports and vote them out of 5?

Just my experience yesterday....

1) restaurant is closed 1400 - 18.00 - not customer orientated !

2) the place opposite cant serve coffee - why ? run out of coffee. Of the desserts listed only 2 available?

3) have to register before you can use the internet. She gave me a form to sign . Wrote my name as Monty Zooma - so what's the point of registering?

4) the fire alarm went off for about 5 minutes, but nobody seemed able to switch it off!!

5) checked the duty free - seemed mega expensive . Euro 18 for 50 cl of Limoncello - no thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
302 reviews
from US$100.20*
7-Day Taste of Europe Tour from...
34 reviews
from US$683.60*
Pisa Half-Day with Skip-the-Line...
661 reviews
from US$81.40*
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
684 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PISA airport !

Good restaurants serve just immediately cooked food, so they are expected to be open just at time of meals. In Italy registering (showing an identification) before using Internet is compulsory, and duty frees are expensive.

But all that becomes less important, regarding that Pisa airport is one of the few ones in Europe at walking distance from the town. So, if you walk some hundreds metres, you'll be able to find usual bars which don't run out of coffee and limoncello which costs much less.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PISA airport !

Keith who eats in an airport mate! what is your problem?

Brighton, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PISA airport !

So you pretend an Italian restaurant to be opened from 14:00-18:00? LOL

No offense, but that's hilarious. Thank God they still have a different food culture than the one of McDonald's.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PISA airport !

Also consider that of all European regional airports Pisa’s Galileo Galilei is the one that is closest to a railway terminal (less than 40 metres of covered walkway).

pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_76.html

Vagabonda

Bollington - England
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PISA airport !

==========================================

Keith who eats in an airport mate! what is your problem?

==========================================

I very raely do...

My Italian friend told me great restaurant at Pisa airport - but decided to ignore his advice and ate instead at restaurant v close to Central Station. Big mistake - lousy rabbit - tough - worst I've had in Italy - and I was the only diner 13.00 - 14.00. LO SCHIACCIANOCI Via Vespucci 104, for anyone who wants to avoid it!

So wished I had taken his advice - only to discover Pisa airport rest. closed as I wrote above. I accept what another has written about opening times - but this is an international airport - people travelling at all times - some will be needing food and I just think that in an airport - its a bit stupid to close for 4 hours - much lost business IMHO

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PISA airport !

You can of course get food at Pisa airport throughout that period though. Panini etc are available at the cafe/bar. So all in all not such a big deal in the big scheme of things.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PISA airport !

I tend to agree with Keith. If it is an airport, passengers are travelling through at most hours and one expects the services to be operating. After reading this thread I will ensure I am fed and watered before arriving at Pisa airport! I am hoping to use the lounge but maybe that has limited hours as well!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PISA airport !

I don't like Pisa much but it is an easy airport to fly into. I also believe that any food in an airport is probably better that the horrible food they serve on the airlines.

The internet is an enforced Italian law that happened a few years ago. The internet people don't really want to bother you but they are required and fined so they will ask for ID and write something down. They are doing the best they can.

Duty free is always mega expensive. If you want a bottle of Limoncella then buy a bottle in a little shop, go to the hardware store and buy some bubble wrap and put it in your luggage.

MAYBE your day just started bad and kept on going....

Edited: 06 April 2012, 18:29
italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PISA airport !

TERRAVISION bus service...

Take the train or any alternative transfer service instead!

I was traveling with my wife and my small child and decided to take the bus instead of the train to be sure to get the connected train at Florence SMN station. The bus was due to leave PISA airport at 10.30 but instead driver and assistance waited for bus to fill up and left 20minutes late. Arrived in Florence 30 minutes late and missed the train!

I think this is a Ryanair-style tactic to stop customers chosing alternatives?

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PISA airport !

The cafe/bar on the ground floor served excellent hot chocs, pastries and the cheapest beer of our stay. Combined with the most pleasant, friendly service, that suited us fine. We then had a tasty slice of freshly cooked pizza once in departures.

Re. the transfer buses, last week they were virtually empty, maybe 6 people on each, so I can understand if they hung around to hope for a few more customers. Annoying, yes, if you miss your onward train. However, our Autostradale bus left on time and took about 90 mins. because of horrendous traffic jams when we arrived in Florence. On the return journey we got an earlier bus in preference to leaving during rush hour, so had a long and relaxed wait at the airport, rather than a frantic dash.

Get answers to your questions about Pisa
Recent Conversations