We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Ships

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Ships

I have looked here and searched the web but am not finding much current info. Can the public view the ships? Is the museum open? Even if it is not, can you view the ongoing restoration? My Roman history- obsessed son would love this, we are going in July. If anyone here lives nearby and has any info, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Ships

Having read Michael Sedge's book some time ago, I've been watching for several years - but haven't seen anything more recent than this...

http://www.cantierenavipisa.it/

Peter

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Ships

Hello! If Pisa premises are closed and not available for public, what is/what are the next best sites to view Roman ships? Have been in Ostia and Nizza and am planning to visit Mainz.. Is Fiumicino worth visiting? How about surroundings of Napoli? Any other places?

May we expect that Pisa would sometimes be open?

Asko

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Ships

Hello! If Pisa premises are closed and not available for public, what is/what are the next best sites to view Roman ships? Have been in Ostia and Nizza and am planning to visit Mainz.. Is Fiumicino worth visiting? How about surroundings of Napoli? Any other places?

May we expect that Pisa would sometimes be open?

Asko

Uk
Level Contributor
347 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Ships

If I'm reading it correctly - the shipyard is closed but there is still a museum that is open to the public.

Does anyone know the admission charge for the museum?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Ships

What follows is a draft of something I keep meaning to finish and post - so don't take it as an exhaustive list, or as being entirely correct...

Make your own checks before travelling!

Peter

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ancient ships?

In tidying up the bookshelves, I came across "The Lost Ships of Pisa" by Michael Sedge - perhaps it's time he put pen to paper again, as almost ALL of Italy's ancient ships seem to have disappeared from view!

OK, there's not a lot to see at Nemi any longer - but what about the others?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

- Pisa: the ships were placed in the old Arsenal, which closed to the public almost immediately:

http://www.cantierenavipisa.it/

- Comacchio, Ferrara: remains of a river craft - the originals, or only a scale models?

- Fiumicino, Rome: 4 (?) ships excavated during work at the airport....

…rgzm.de/navis/…Fiumicino_English.htm

Closed since we tried to get in during 2002, if not even earlier?

060608.it/en/…museo-delle-navi-romane.html

- Naples: 30 foot boat and two others, found in 2004 - taken away for conservation...

http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/naples/romanport.html

- Herculaneum: the boat (at 9 metres long, hardly a ship) discovered in 1982 went on display, in the rather distant 'Padiglione della barca'

pompeiisites.org/allegati/Barca%20_Ercolano_…

But, as of March 2012, that's shown on the list of places to which there's no access at present:

pompeiisites.org/allegati/…202012.pdf

Thankfully, the museum in Marsala - in Sicily's western Trapani province - still seems to open and displaying what remains of its Punic (Carthaginian, not Roman) ship...

…rgzm.de/Navis/…NaveMarsalaEnglish.htm

Visit details...

…sicilia.it/beniculturali/…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman Ships

For the article about the ships found during the excavation of the new Metro station near the harbour in Naples, this link may be easier to use...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/76bkqlv

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roman Ships

As for Pisa, perhaps try these - from last month...

ansa.it/web/notizie/regioni/toscana/2012/03/…

pisatoday.it/cronaca/navi-antiche-pisa-museo…

At the soonest, 2014... after they've spent the 4 million Euro sent by the Ministry to repair the building..

pisatoday.it/cronaca/4-milioni-euro-museo-na…

Peter

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roman Ships

Thank you Peter for your valuable information.!

My Italian is quite poor but I understand that there is a museum in Pisa and that it is open. The excavation site is closed - at least for public. Correct?

I will check it also from Pisa tourist info

Asko

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roman Ships

I've been to the ship museum in Comacchio, and I'm almost 100% sure that we saw only a model of the ship, and I'm not even sure it was full size. The original, I believe, is kept bathed with water to preserve the wood. The museum is very interesting, though, and there are displayed many of the things that were found on the ship, both merchandise (lots of amphorae), navigational and sailors' tools, and personal effects of the sailors. No bodies were found, so it's assumed that they all got away when the ship went down.

I've only once seen an actual ancient ship, a Viking ship in Roskilde, Denmark, and that was constantly bathed with water. The display of such ships is a real problem in conservation, and it's probably better that models be displayed.

Houston
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roman Ships

The museum in Mainz Germany is quite informative. I visited there in 2000. There is a to-scale recreation of a Roman ship in the building plus exhibits of the discovery and history of the ships in that area of the Rhine. Very well done in my opinion.