We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Don't ever use GoldCar. I had to queue at Pisa airport rental desk for 1 hour 10 minutes. When i got to the counter i was given the hard sell on the extended insurance, even told i would get served quicker when i returned the car. Then they told me they sell me a full tank of fuel at their premium rate irrespective of how much fuel is in the car when i return it. Don't bother with these cowboys, it ends up cheaper to go the usual car hire companies.

253 replies to this topic
London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

I could not agree more - We have just returned from 10 fabulous days in Tuscany and Umbria very polite people and great food.

HOWEVER the staff at the Goldcar counter are just animals single handedly managed to insult the Italian race!! I have never see a more crude and rude service than from the 'Lady' and nice 'boy' .............

They are to be avoided at all costs. When we returned the car I mentioned that we had about 20-30 mins he told me that he would check the car in his good time and if we miss the flight so be it! The previous people were returning to pick up their car (plus the insurance hard sell!) as the desk was closed early and as their flight had been delayed had no option that to take a taxi to a hotel and come back the next day! The Goldcar desk in the Pisa airport have a bad reputation and certainly live up to it

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Unbelievably appalling service from M the Goldcar representative.

Rude, aggressive and thoroughly ignorant. She forced me to pay €120 for their CDW insurance policy stating, incorrectly, that my own policy with Insurance4carhire.com was invalid.

Despite three phonecalls to my UK carhire broker company as I stood at the Goldcar desk, including one where they spoke directly to M, she would not release the car until I had paid up. She even threatened to cancel my rental and call the police!

Three other UK holidaymakers were caught up in exactly the same scam in the hour or so I spent sorting this out.

AVOID GOLDCAR AT ALL COSTS

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
63. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

totally agree the kind 'lady's' name is Martina email

psa@goldcaritaly.it

I refused the insurance and just paid a deposit on my credit card

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Simply would not supply us with the (contracted) car unless we took out the additional excess insurance.

Exactly the same situation as comment 62. We had the same insurance policy with the same supplier to cover eventualities like this but the delightful 'M' advised that we were required by Italian law to take out the Excess Insurance - when I advised that my friend had just declined this at the Hertz desk as he picked up his car, 'M" told me "go to Hertz then".

I had read all of these reviews in advance (thank you) and acknowledged that I'd been suckered into paying for petrol that I wouldn't use but that was what I'd signed up for in the T&Cs. However, I was quite prepared to have the 1,600 Euro block on my credit card rather than take the unnecessary insurance - unfortunately, I was told simply that Goldcar would not provide me with the contracted car unless I took the extra insurance.

I wonder how Tesco feel about this given that we booked this via Tesco Clubcard vouchers via Affordable Car Hire?

Mentioned in this post
Euro Hotel
Euro Hotel
157 Reviews
Tirrenia, Italy
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

HA HA HA

Named and shamed.

I wonder if the delectable Martina is aware that she arouses such passion in her contacts. Perhaps someone should let her know…….

I wonder if her bosses know. Perhaps someone should let them know too!!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

I had a similar experience to the other comments here. Avoid them however cheaper they seem. I advise to book directly with Europcar or Hertz which ends to be the same price. Goldcar charged EUR 104 to fill the tank of a tiny Corsa, long waiting queue and of course I had to take their useless insurance of EUR 140 (doubling the rental price) as my HSBC credit card was not working and HSBC was not reachable (due to an IT failure). I have closed my account at HSBC as they let me down so many times, but that is another topic. The car itself was fine and new. Moreover, don't drive in Pisa, Florence and be careful of the numerous speed cameras, cash cows. ( I did not get any fine though as I read many reviews before travelling)

Edited: 10 September 2013, 09:35
Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Reading, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
67. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

I hate to go against the flow here, but I rented a Clio from Goldcar at Pisa airport and - although I wouldn't go as far as recommending them - they could have been a lot worse. I shopped around and was being quoted over £300 for a week's hire by most of the main companies, so I went to rentalcars.com and got the same car for only £140. When I found out it was going to be from Goldcar my heart sank, having read comments on various sites, so I called rentalcars and asked them for details of the extras. They told me that the full insurance and petrol would be about £200, which put the overall price at the same level as the other car hire companies, so I decided to stick with them.

When we got to Pisa airport the Goldcar queue was longer and slower than any of the other car rentals, but it only took about 30-40 minutes and we weren't in any great rush. As I'd checked in advance, I knew what to expect so I didn't argue about the cost, paid the extra £200 (no deposit), got the car and drove off.

As I said at the start, they aren't great but if you go through rentalcars.com and check what extras to expect they work out slightly cheaper than Hertz and co. so they're not a bad option.

BTW - satnav hire is a rip-off from all the car hire companies. It's far better to buy one in the UK with the Europe maps and take that with you.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Save Reply
68. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Sadly I too have been completely scammed by these guys. Quoted €58 online, end cost €243 - for a three day hire. They insisted on taking £2,600 on my credit card as deposit unless I forked out for extra insurance at €128. Then automatically charged €78 for fuel with the promise of a refund. Now I simply cannot get through to them. I have asked MasterCard to investigate the transaction. Argus Carhire in the uk were the booking agents. Shame on them.

NY
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

58 Euros for 3 days seems really low to me, like a low ball quote. But the 243 Euros seems really high. Did you prepay the 78 Euro for fuel, in that case I think you return with as little as possible but in my experience they don't ever refund if you have gas left, wonder what the terms were.

But in any case a rip off, too bad.

Mentioned in this post
Euro Hotel
Euro Hotel
157 Reviews
Tirrenia, Italy
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
70. Re: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport

Hello everybody,

Perhaps I could help with some advice, if you are willing to take it.

We booked a Fiat 500 (brand new and very clean) in late August 2013 from GoldCar Pisa for 10 days and it was considerably cheaper than any other company at that time (€205/10 days - in advance of 1 week we made the booking).

My advice is that, regardless of the company, you should beforehand enquire by telephone of all the costs that you will be charged with. And be as nice as possible, that is extremely helpful. At first the T&Cs were not clear enough, but after a telecon we started to understand everything:

a) an extra charge for fuel (and I see everybody is quoting different values, which leads me to believe that the people at GoldCar are giving our figures off the top of their heads) - for us €80 - fairly reasonable, given that a full tank would actually cost around €60 for a Fiat 500 at a Total / Shell / Agip. They don't mind you bringing the car back with fuel!

b) Either deposit or extra insurance - for us the extra insurance was €120 - again, fairly reasonable, because (1) we do not have Credit Cards (2) I'd much rather not worry about waiting for the Deposit to be redeemed.

c) Even though the T&Cs state that ONLY Credit Cards are acceptable, we kindly asked the Manager by email and telephone whether it would be possible for us to pay by Debit Card, having explained our situation - and the response was "Yes".

c) Paying with a GBP card the value in EUROS only added an extra £3 to the exchange rate - so no fuss about that.

d) ONLY VISA and MASTERCARD Debit / Credit Cards are accepted (no Visa Electron / Maestro).

e) If, for example you are the driver, and decide to pay with your partner's card (the partner must be with you to sign the contract), you have to pay an extra €7 per day - for additional driver (even though your partner will not be driving it / or has a driving licence).

For those that feel unsafe as to thecontent of the telephone conversations, perhaps you could write an email to GoldCar Pisa and confirm your discussion - that's what we did, and we responded with a "thank you very much for your assistance".

It was a Saturday afternoon (24th August) that we arrived at the airport and we were lucky enough to have nobody in the queue in front of us. I have to admit that we were a bit uneasy about the situation, but in fact everything went very smoothly.

You of course have to bring the car back nice and clean - and we by chance found a self service car wash about 5 minutes towards Pisa City Centre where we paid about €4 (jet wash, vacuum, etc.) - try and find it on Google Earth (as I can't give you indications now).

SatNav - no use in having it. Advice to those with Smartphones - download the "MapFactor: GPS Navigation" (FREE form Google Play) and the map for Italy for the app (FREE) before travelling outside of the UK - that's what we did and it was extremely usefull. And if you don't have a SatNav / Smartphone holder for a car, just tape it to the dashboard. Preference for the MapFactor - use Coordinates.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 18 October 2013, 09:33
Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: GoldCar Car Rental Pisa Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted